Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man / P Bass tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 12, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Let me preface this by saying the tone I'm getting out of my Warmoth is incredible for an MM type tone. I've got an EMG-HZ with exposed PolePieces at the Sweet Spot and when using my Bass Compactor my bass sounds just like a Music Man.
    I used this EMG because I had it lying around. I'm now thinking of trying to attempt more of a "P" tone. I'm thinking it'll fit with my style of music better. I don't think the MM growl is working for the rock I'm playing. I'm not going to route the bass so ....here's the question... If I replace this pickup with a Bartolini M4, xxM45M Split coil ("P" like)(deep tone) soapbar...would I get more of a "P" tone?...bear in mind the pickup position is at the MM sweet spot.
    I'd appreciate any advice (in my constant search for that "tone").
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    should've included M4 soapbar in title.
    -Bazz-

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The P Sound and the MM sound are all about pickup placement and design. You will not get a P Sound putting a P pickup, or bartolini pickup for that matter, in the MM Sweetspot and vice versa. I have a friend who designed a bass with a moveable pickup. Just a slight change in pickup position will make a very distinguished sonic change.

4. I think you'd get more of a Rickenbacker bridge pickup sound with the pickup where it is.

when the neck coil on the MM pickup in my Dearmond is soloed it tends to sound this way- more fretbuzzy than a P bass's chunk and depth.

5. Buy a P bass if you want P tone. Keep the Warmoth/MM, because you need to have both.

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...Oh I'm keeping the Warmoth/MM bass believe me! I'm just entertaining the thought of now putting in a quad coil bart (in the MM spot) with a 3 way selector switch going from trad P coils then full series HB then rev P coils. I'm thinking I'll get some killer tones this way...more of a selection than what I've got now. Not that what I've got now is bad...it's great...just thinking I want a little more flexibility and depth to the tone. I'll be posting pics of the bass tomorrow.
    -Bazz-

7. When I first started out, that thought intrigued me also. I was wondering about the Stu Hamm Urge-II, then started wondering why it wasn't popular at all, considering it "does it all."

My hard-won conclusion is, only a P does the P thing. I tried like hell to get a P tone from my Fender RB5, even went to TI Flats.

Nope.

Bought a MIM P, put TI Flats on it and... voila... the P tone. Did some screwing around with pickups and found out the real P tone only comes with "vintage" type P pickups. The Duncan Hot P, and DiMarzio Will Power Middle don't thump.

That left open the question about the MM tone.. so I bought a G&L L1500 and have MM grind in spades. I suppose the L1500 would work with flats, but it cranks with roundwounds. That is the real issue with a combi-bass... the strings.