Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gsmackfan00, Jan 20, 2005.

1. gsmackfan00

gsmackfan00 Banned

Jan 20, 2005
    Hello,
    I'm thinking bout getting a "Seymor DUncan Basslines Music man" pick up for my new OLP musicman2. The OLP is basically a cheaper stringray but i was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on this. Or do think there's a better pickup for my bass? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Nordstrand?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
  4. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what sounds more agressive, the ceramic or the alcino??

do you have a soundclip of your ceramic?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't have much of a grasp on what players mean when they say an aggressive pup. Aggressive to me comes from the way it's played or the way sound is run through controls or effects. Any pup can be made to sound aggressive. Slap is about as aggressive as it gets without busting stuff up but I doubt your talking about a slap pup.

A ceramic magnet will generally produce a brighter, cleaner, thinner sounding tone. Alnico 5's (which is the typical MM option) will tend to be just the opposite with a vintage vibe. Alnico's often described as being "softer" in character as well yet Alnico's where you'll get crunch. So from that, I'd guess that Alnico would qualify as more aggressive. Don't know for a fact but as of late I've picked up the impression Stingrays are Alnico and Sterlings ceramic. Don't know if they've mixed them up over the years or it's standard or I've just misinterpreted.

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Generally meaning a "hot" or "high gain" sound. "In your face" as opposed to "smooth" or "mellow".

It can also refer to certain EQ characteristics such as a harsh top, grindy mids, or a woofy bottom. Of course it is these same characterisitics that make those pickups desirable for certain styles of music, or specific techniques.

FWIW, here's a link to the magnet section of the Duncan FAQ.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/faqdescr.shtml#magnets

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Thanks. Had intended to ad an iquiry for as much to this post but couldn't remember where I'd posted it.

That helps. Should have guessed it'd be basically same as for guitar in the old days before all the electronic stuff arrived to do it for you. But a fundamental difference between bass and guitar pickup design is bass is in general intended to produce a cleaner more focused sound, which is just the opposite. But I've heard mention of even Barts being aggressive and, although they make a lot of different pups, aggressive is about the last attribute I'd associate to Barts in general.

I suppose there is probably a purist element to such tone but again basically pretty much any pup can be made aggressive through effects and controls - though some would qualify better than others. If it's like the old days, as well as the pups you'd need the amp and cab to go the purist route to get the tone.

I could guess but since I don't play the stuff, what pups are considered to be the current standards for aggressive pups for bass? And what amps and cabs?

8. Delanos are real nice

www.delano.de

They have 3 or 4 different four string MMs but they should all be pretty good.