1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

music man pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gkman1, Apr 13, 2006.

1. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Anyone know where I could locate a pickup that are in the Music Man Stingrays......or is there something similar out there ???...This is for a 4 string bass.

Thanks!!

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I highly recommend the Nordstrand 4.2 pickup. It is very close to an exact copy of a Stingray pickup. You can order one from Best Bass Gear, I believe they are a TB sponsor. You can find a link at the top of the pickup forum.

Other choices would be an Alnico Basslines MM pickup from Seymour Duncan, Bartolini MM pickup, Aero MM pickup and I'm sure there are others.

I've restored several Stingrays, and when the original pickup isn't there, I use the Nordstrand.

3. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks....appreciate the info!!!

4. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    I guess there's not an easy way to get an original music man stingray pickup????

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

they don't sell them. You would need to take one out of a Ray to get one.

I'd use use a Delano http://www.delano.de/english/index-eng.html

6. Unless you want to remove one from an Original Stingray, no your not gonna get an original pickup, however, there are several after market companies that make MM style pickups that I think sound MUCH better. Seymour Duncan/Basslines has several versions, spanning from fatter and warmer, to ones with more attack. Check out their site for more info on that. Nordstrand makes exilent pickups, I know. I've never used one myself, but I hear VERY good things. There are alot of options out there as far as aftermarket pickup companies go, Dimarzio makes one I think, bartolini, lindy fralin does i think, im not sure on that one....

7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I am most likely selling an original Stingray pickup out of an 88 ray...let me know if you are interested

8. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Can I use a preamp with Nordstrand 4.2 pickup.....I lack a little knowledge in this area...