Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Replacement Body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blipndub, Feb 14, 2005.

1. I don't consider myself a Luthier by any stretch of my imagination but I do put basses together.

I'm looking to assemble Sting Ray types of basses but can't find any replaceent bodies. Does anyone know of a source?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Are you looking to replace a body or do you need a neck and body? As far as I know, no one make either. Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars make various bodies which they will rout for MM pickups and, of course, they will sell you necks as well.

3. Right, I'm leaning towards a warmoth dinky j routed for a mm but I just wondered if I was missing some other maker that had the mm. Finding a mm neck is downright impossible!

I got a warmoth gift certificate for my birthday so they're getting my business this time not USCG. There will be plenty more I"m sure!

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I think I once read that MM has a trademark on the 3+1 headstock, so you'd have to get a neck from eBay or somewhere else from an existing bass most likely.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you want the MM shape, could you just do it yourself? It's pretty basic.. Or are you not wanting to cut out/route etc at all? Could you possibly pay someone to do it for you?

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Erine Ball is rabid about not offering replacement parts. In order to get a replacement, you have to turn in your original. It wouldn't be so bad if they had a custom shop, but they don't...

The only thing out there that I'm aware of other than the few replacement pickups offered by the likes of Seymour Duncan and Bartolini, is the graphite neck offered by Status, which EB used for the 2000 NAMM commemorative basses.

On the other hand, very occasionally, parts from Stingray's will show up on eBay...

7. I'm not ready to start cutting my own bodies but that's prolly what I should do eventually.

That guy in Brazil exotic_wood whatever made me one but did not respond when i asked if he would make more.

I've given up on the necks!