Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man S.U.B. or Fender AMERICAN P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zetsu_hadouken, Aug 30, 2004.

1. zetsu_hadouken

zetsu_hadouken

Aug 27, 2004
    well its for x-mas fomr everyone so what do yall think? which will it be?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    P-bass. Christmas in August?

3. zetsu_hadouken

zetsu_hadouken

Aug 27, 2004
    im researching...smartass

4. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    They're both good choices, but different basses. Pick the one you like best. You can't go wrong.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Why are you comparing an SUB to an American P-Bass? Pricewise, a Stingray or Sterling would be closer.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The P bass is about $300 more that the S.U.B. The American P is about the same price as a Stingray.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Oh yeah, P-Bass......... :)

But I am a P-Bass-aholic. I admit I DO have a problem, but I'm NOT seeking treatment. :D

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you like the Stringray sound, the SUB is a great value.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $1000 on a Fender, the same sound can be achieved by getting a cheaper copy and, if need be, adding aftermarket pickups and electronics.

As usual, YMMV

9. The Fender Precision my be the quintessential bass for most, but...

for me, Music Man .... has the mojo :cool: .

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The S.U.B. or an American P? The American P gets my vote.
    Sterling or Stingray to an American P? That would be a tossup

11. zetsu_hadouken

zetsu_hadouken

Aug 27, 2004
    ok at the store. the P is about 900ish i think and the SUB is about 700ish. its been a while what sound do yall like better?

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    +1

If you're willing to pay that kind of $$ then compare a Stingray and an MIA P-Bass - not a P-Bass and a SUB. Though the SUB's are very nice :)

13. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I perfer a Stingray over a P-bass. I personally don't like P-Bass "sound". Unless you're Jamerson that is :D

14. I have the SUB and also the Stingray and in a band situation they both sound very close to each other. I would get the Sub and put the extra towards an amp upgrade for the future.

The Sub isnt as pretty and only 2 band Active but thats no real problem. The feel and sound is very very close to the Stingray, after all it is a Stingray in a different set of clothes.

The Fender and the Musicman sound different so it depends on musical styles and the type of sound you want. If you want growl for rock and bright for slap go with the SUB.

If you want warm vintage type rock / blues go for the Fender of course both makes are good for both but to my ears thats how i separate them. Another good bass to consider is the Warwick ( not the Rockbass ) they have a lovely growl and punch and they would be my next choice after the Musicman range.

15. With those choices - P definitely P.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    When you've got the time, visit a music store that has the MM SUB, Sterling, StingRay, and Fender MIA Standard P-Bass in stock. Take each for a test drive through the same amp to find out which bass has the sound and feel you're after. Take your time and really put each to the test.

As already posted, each of the 4 basses has it's individual tone. I'd personally recommend that you give the StingRay and Sterling a comparison to an MIA Stan. P-Bass, along with the SUB. By the time you done your 'comparison' shopping, I believe you'll have found your favorite.

(My favorite is the Precision :p !)

17. P-Bass definitely

I am a realteively new convert having only had my American Deluxe P-Bass V for a couple of months, but I love it!

...even the guitarists in my band have commented on how much they like the sound. It has an awesome low B considering it is 34" scale I don't actually believe what everyone says about 35" scale giving a tighter B because of what this produces!

the active set-up give bas/mid/treble cut and boost all making significant diferrence to the sound, the mid being intrumental in "cutting through" in a band situation