Music Man Sabre Bass Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Sep 26, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I am discussing a possible purchase of a 1980's Sabre bass. The seller claims it is 100% original.

I looked at pictures, and to my surprise, the pickups are enclosed, i.e. the pole pieces cannot be seen as with a typical MM pickup. It was my understanding that the normal MM humbuckers were used in Sabres. Am I incorrect? Did they use different pickups in the later models. I have actually seen this before on other Sabres and assumed that replacement PU's were used.

Help! Thanks!
  2. I know that some, I'm not sure about all, Sabres did indeed have covered polepieces. I'd wait for someone else though, I'm no Sabre expert (its older than me!)
  3. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I had an old Sabre for awhile, and the pole pieces were exposed.
    By the way, the neck on my bass was fantastic-- perhaps the best I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few), but the bass never had enough midrange and punch for me, so I eventually sold it.
    Just my $.02.
  4. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    When Leo Fender was making Sabre basses (1979-80), the pickups had eight exposed pole pieces. But, they are smaller than Stingray pickups. They are the size of G&L bass humbuckers, though not quite the same shape. When Ernie Ball bought musicman, they used up whatever parts they had left, and then changed the neck pickup to a sixteen pole type, and used the solid cover on it. I think there are Sabres out there with an exposed pole bridge pickup and the covered pole neck pickup, but eventually both pickups were covered. The bridge and preamp changed too; newer Sabres have a Stingray bridge and a single coil selector switch, while the earlier ones hace a die-cast bridge and three mini-toggle switches.
  5. you might want to check over at they have a musciman forum, and a number of saber owners have posted picts of their basses.
  6. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The Bass Palace currently has one of these. Check their website for the picture.