1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man Sabre C001616

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gonzalec654, Mar 11, 2013.

1. gonzalec654

gonzalec654

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi,
    today I got a Vintage Music Man Sabre Bass (serial C001616) from a friend for really low money. It seems that all parts are original. I can't find any information about the manufacturing date, price, etc. Does anyone know something about this bass or where I can get some further informations?
    Thanks and regards!

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    www.musicmanbass.org

I have one. What do you need to know?

3. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Checking the Site above and your SN it is a '79

4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I've got C004779. As you'll learn from the musicmanbass.org site, serial numbers and dates are hard to correlate for the pre-EB MM basses, as the serial numbers were stamped on components that were stocked in huge bins and consumed in a random order over a number of years. Yours is a pretty low number that was *probably* 1979, but you'd need to look for other date stamps inside the bass. The Sabres were very nice basses, but never sold as well as the Stingrays for some reason. Ironically, it's the Sabre-like dual pickup L2000/L2500 models from G&L that caught on best when Leo started over again (again).

5. gonzalec654

gonzalec654

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi, thanks for your information! I found a date on the neck and on the body: June 1979. Unfortunately the bass hasn't a pickguard. Any idea where I can buy a Sabre Pickguard?

The neck is in a pretty good shape but the body urgently needs a cleaning. I'm not really shure how I can clean the body. Also the pickups are a little bit rusty.

Someone puts decals/stickers on the body which I removed. But there is still some glue on the body. I tried to remove that with some different cleaners with no result - any tipps? I don't wanna damage the finish.

I added some pictures of the sabre.

Is it possible to estimate the value? About 500 Dollars?

Regards

Attached Files:

6. I would happily take that off your hands for $500 ;)

Seriously though, add at least a 1 to the front of that number.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/79-musicman-sabre-bass-real-closet-classic-951039/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/...ower-price-reconsider-rejected-offers-944614/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-1981-music-man-sabre-946978/

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You can probably order one from Ernie Ball/Musicman. For many years they were still stocking replacement early model pickguards.

I use Meguiars automotive paint polish to remove nasty crud and goo off instruments.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Looks like my old one that I had in P.R. Great color, great tone, and no idea why I traded it except the grass is always greener on the other side. It had a black pickguard if I recall correctly.

9. gonzalec654

gonzalec654

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks for your answers! I'll try to get a black pickguard and I hope the polish will help to clean the body.

10. You can clean sticker residue with lighter fluid like what they used for zippos. Nice bass by the way ;)