music man sabre or sterling (and modifying it)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dace, Oct 14, 2002.

1. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i'd say that the sabre is ALMOST the ideal bass i'm after (well actually a Wal probably is but i can't afford one), cos it's got the versatility of of 2 PUs, BUT it's only a 2-band active EQ: no knob to cut or boost the mids. for those of you who have a sabre, do u think a lack of mid control counts against it that much? for me it might be a problem cos i usually play with the mids cut out.

i guess my alternative is to get a sterling and modify it like hell. has anyone actually tried installing a 2nd PU to their sterling or stingray? hmmm...i wonder how it would cost to add one in cos i'd imagine that quite a bit of alder would have to be removed to fit the neck PU + extra electronics?

what do u guys reckon. try grab my hands on a sabre (and they're really rare here in australia) or buy a sterling and mod it?
  2. I'd say you get a sterling and modefiy it, because of the cost and the rarity of them in australia.

And I agree, sabres are cool, I've never really seen one in a up close, clear, picture. untill now.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Have you checked out a G&L L-2000? They have 2 pickups that are similar to MM-style pickups although the location is probably different than the Sabre. They are, admittedly, 2-band cut-only eq but the pickups are voiced to work well with that scheme.

If you've already checked one out and don't like it then I think modifying a Sterling/Stingray wouldn't be a bad way to go. If you didn't like the neck pickup a new pickguard would cover up the route and put it back to the original appearance.
  4. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I'm not sure that adding a second pickup to a Sterling will do the trick?
    I used to own one and find that the single pickup sweetspot design and its peculiar sound probably won't work well with a second neck pickup. I considered adding 2 PUs, bridge and neck, but there is vert little space between the original PU and the bridge. Plus adding a single pickup would imply adding a balance pot (never mind 2), and honestly the Sterling electronics are OK but not the greatest either. And once modified, your Sterling won't be worth much on the market.
    If you can get a Sabre, go for it, but try it first. I ended up trading the Sterling for a Trace Elliot T-Bass (J-bass type) and am much happier with the sound possibilities, I don't miss the Sterling one bit.