Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Sabre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stacystarkweath, Jan 5, 2006.

1. stacystarkweath

stacystarkweath

Aug 11, 2005
    I had a very early original natural finish Music Man Sabre fretless that I loved! It was stolen from me in 1984. It had a unique cigarette burn below the control plate (not that I expect anyone to actually have the bass). My question is: Does anyone still play one of these or maybe even know of one for sale?

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    TLev still uses his black Sabre fretless with Peter Gabriel for "Sledgehammer" live, but with the dual humbucking StingRays and Sterlings hitting the market you might want to wait for one of those. Many people, even within EB/MM disliked the "Sabre Effect", which was the too-strong neck pickup inhibiting string vibration past the 10th fret.

4. stacystarkweath

stacystarkweath

Aug 11, 2005
    Thanks for the info...I don't remember that effect, but it was a particularly sweet bass, fretless with inducing the ghost of Jaco...two pickup Stingray's Huh? Hadn't heard about it, sound thunderous!

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    This theoretical problem does not exist on my '80 Sabre.

6. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I have a Sabre for sale. If still interested send me a PM.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Man, that sounds pretty rough!

IIRC Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet used a Sabre in the video for "to cut a long story short", and sounds like it was used in the studio too.

8. glad to see I am not the only TB'er that resurrects two year old threads!!

9. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I just saw an amazing bass player last weekend here in town. She could do it all. And her tone was incredible. She was using an Ampeg solid state amp and a pair of Eden 210's stacked vertically. My friend and I were trying to figure out what bass she was using. It looked to me like she was playing some type of a MM or an EB, but it wasn't a SR or any other model I have seen. So I talked to her briefly during a set break and asked her what it was. She was happy to tell me it was a MM Sabre.

I know she could probably make a cardboard box with a rubber band sound good, but that bass sounded killer.

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    John Hiatt's bassist on the dvd "Live from Austin" plays a red Sabre and a '70's P-bass (modified with DiMarzio P-J's); you can really get a sense of how awesome the Sabre is on it.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    [​IMG]