Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Sabres - What Do You Think of Them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saint, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I just tried a friend's 1979 Music Man Sabre. What a fantastic bass. It had this incredible offset neck where the back was thicker on one side and thinner on the other. The sounds were incredible. All the best features of the Stingray X 2 and then some.

Why did they stop making those? (And who knows where I can lay my hands on one.)

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Had one. Loved it. Sold it. Still regret it. That 'bout says it.

Peace,

James

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Why SMASH think Bongo bad?? (I've only seen pictures, never played one).

Also, Malthumb, did your Sabre have that offset neck?

4. i been wanting a sabar since after i started playing. thats 4 years ago. i would kill just for a neck and body.

5. Congrats,Saint -- I have a 79 Sabre as well-- LOVE IT !! Mine is black with the sweetest maple neck ever .I play 6 string bass most of the time now, but I will never part with my Sabre

6. oops -- misread the beginning of your post,Saint --- thought you had BOUGHT it from your friend ... Guess you're gonna have to find a way to get him to give it up,cause as I said in my original post,mine is going nowhere !! LOL

7. i want a sabar, if u guys see just a sabar body or neck on ebay or for sale any wear else please pm . i would do any thing for a sabar. it doesnt even have to have a sabar neck it could be a ray neck. :( :( :(

8. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Then why not just buy a bongo bass or get Warmoth to route out a dual MM humbucker body? I emailed about it and they said that they would do it~Josh

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I used to own a Sabre. It was one incredible tone machine. Very versatile. I don't regret selling it because it was the heaviest bass I ever had on my shoulder. My left shoulder went completely numb after one set, yes I had a wide strap. My bass had a regular neck not asymetrical. Fat and wide maple/maple. If weight is not an issue, I see them from time to time on eBay in the $700 $800 price range.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My 1989 EB Sabre is the greatest 4-string I've ever played, let alone owned. I don't touch her since I switched to 5-string, but I cant bear to sell her... we've been through too much together. Mine is very light.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i played a sabre in a guitar center once and couldn't put it down. it was only around 700 bucks but i didn't have the money at the time. it was so hard to put that thing back on the wall for people to abuse.

i'm gonna get me a bongo!

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's always g&l 2000's. :)

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Had a 1982-fretless Sabres.
    One of the nicest 4-st. I ever owned.
    Wish I never sold It?
    Great Bass

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No, I don't think that it did.

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I still have mind.My dad bought it for me when I was in the 11th grade to me it was the best MM ever produced,and the tone was just incredible.The basses that are now manufactured by Ernie Ball arent even in the same ballparks as were the real MM's

16. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Well, it didn't take long, but I finally got one. As I said in a different post, it was not well taken care of by its previous owner. It looks as if the original finish was stripped and toyed with --badly I might add. also, the pickguard is clearly not a Sabre pickguard, but rather came from a Stingray. Also appears that the previous owner tried to defret it --probably using a jackhammer.

Now the good news: it sounds great, plays great and feels great. The frets are brand new. And, I paid $550, which includes tax and hardshell case (which, is in far, far better condition than the bass).

My camera batteries just died but here's a quicky:[​IMG]

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, good for you. looks sweet. maple board is cool, m'kay.

18. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks John. I guess it doesn't look too bad. Nonetheless, hopefully I'll get to replace the pickguard soon and redo the finish.

19. i had an l2000 for a few months and it didnt sound anything like a musicman... it paled in comparison