Music Man settings & 3 position switch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daveonbass, Aug 30, 2009.

1. daveonbass

daveonbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Having a hard time finding any info on the 3-position switch included on a MM5 bass... I have one, believe they are parallel, single coil and series but not sure what is what. Also, any idea what setting would be the same as a standard 4-string without a pickup selector? AND - just looking for suggestions on how other bassists run their tone settings (I know it's all subjective and also has a lot to do with how your amp is setup as well)...

Mainly just trying to figure out the 3-position switch and what setting would be the same as the 4-string version, though. Any help would be cool.

:)

2. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    OK, after more searching I believe what I've found is this:

MMSR5's 3-position switch is:

Toggled toward neck: Series
    Middle: Single Coil
    Bridge: Parallel

Series is the setting that 4-string w/o a pickup selector come in.

Just looking for verification now :)

3. 4 string rays are parallel

4. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    You are correct!...
    from the Ernie Ball site itself:
    http://www.ernieball.com/faq/4-MusicMan-Bass-Guitars-FAQ#68
    Q: What does the 3 way switch do on the Stingray 5 and the Sterling?
    A: With the switch in the 'closest to neck' position, the pickup's flow of voltage follows a snake like pattern around the poles, this is called the Series position, creating an out of phase slightly brighter humbucker tone. The second position is the Single Coil position, only the coil closest to the bridge is used creating a thin, bright sound for soloing, a phantom coil is added to reduce single coil noise. The last position is the Parallel position, use this for the traditional thick bottom end bass sound made famous by the Stingray 4.

5. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    If your SR5 was built after April of 08 the middle postition is also series, called "enhanced series".

6. is this enhanced series similar to the old G&L single coil OMG mode? i believe that was a series setting with some of the highs cut out of one of the coils...

7. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    I'm not sure, but it could be. The diagram calls it "series + filter".

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021