Music Man Setup J-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nelson Wires, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Nelson Wires

Nelson Wires

Apr 14, 2004
    I love the sound of Music Man Basses, and I love the look and feel of J-basses. I'm going half and half. I am building a bass made of Warmoth parts and using bartolini active electronics. I want to know what anyone's experience is with the Dimarzio Music Man pups. I am open to any pickups with that size and shape for comparison. I'm having the body cut to accomodate this style of pup.

Any thoughts?
  2. BHuntsalot

Nov 3, 2004
    To hit that MM sound be sure you find out the exact placement dimensions to place that pickup on your bass.
  3. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    could you post some pics? of the body?

i'm planning to build exact the same bass, with a MM and J pickup in the body..
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont think Dimarzio makes a MM PU.

I know Bart does, but that wont really get you the same sound.

Ive heard that the Nordstrand version is pretty good.
  5. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had the same idea:
    I used Bartolinis and a Duncan pre-amp. This sound nothing like a MusicMan. The Barts are very smooth and sound sound great if your into that sound. Not what I was looking for. I'm going to swap the pickups for Duncans (Alnico MM and 1/4 pounder jazz) for some more aggression. :scowl:
  6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I've had great experiences using EMG in a MM to get a really good aggressive tone. For my money, better than the stock MM pups.
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    To back up what was previously said, I'm pretty sure that DiMarzio does not make an MM pup.
  8. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I have a Nordstrand in my Stingray. It does a great job at getting that vintage MM sound.

9. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I didnt realize EMG made an MM pup...I'm gonna have to try it...

thanks for the heads up.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its just their normal pickups in a MM shape case.
  11. Nelson Wires

Nelson Wires

Apr 14, 2004
    I didn't know dimarzio doesn't offer mm style P-ups. I guess I didn't check first before posting.

I am thinking either S.D. SMB-5 Alnico, or possibly EMG's, but I am partial to my good friends over at Seymour Duncan. I'll get a single coil for the neck position, but I'm not sure about that one either.

But I figure I can get decent sound out of a chambered Warmoth J-bass body, solid ebony neck, and bartolini active preamp regardless which company I chose for P-ups.