1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man SR Classic : (

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cygnus X-1, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hey guys,
    The other day I brought home a beautiful SR Classic I've been wanting (procrastinating) from GC for almost a year.

Well, after my tech puts new strings (EB hybrid 45-105) adjusts the action and lemons up my fretboard, I take her home. I allow the base to sit in its case for awhile (it was cold), then take her out and acclimate to my room temp. After playing it for two days, I can't help but be not so impressed. First, I'm getting an annoying tinny (clanky) sound from my G string. I try to adjust the truss rod, and reset the action to my liking and still I fail.

At first I'm thinking, maybe my room is to dry. I grab my 08 P and Jazz and they play fine. I bring the bass to a friend who is experienced in bass set ups. He informs me that there is a very slight hump that is hardly noticeable, yet is affecting the strings thus causing the buzz. Basically, from nut to about 5th-7th fret, then dips a little at the center when the adjustment was made.

So should I return the bass, call Ernie Ball or have another tech look at it ?

2. I would say contact Ernie Ball. From what I've heard, they have pretty great customer service.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd be tempted to try the tech again, but with a fair certainty that the bass has a defect. I have no idea what GC's actual return policy is at present, but I'd read the fine print right away, and find my receipt.

4. GC has a 30 day return policy.

5. Thanks guys, I think I'll have the tech check it out once more before deciding to return or contact EB. Acually, since I bought it recently, GC extended its return policy until late January for the holidays. I may just exchange it for another SR, perhaps maybe even an HH model.

6. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Contact EBMM first. I bet they'll make it right.

7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    EBMM Customer Service is great. Talk to them first. Sounds like your guy did not set the bass up properly but I could be wrong. I know from the factory, they come set up really nice in my opinion. I leave mine bone stock as a result.

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It sounds like the neck is too straight. Have a qualified tech take a look. All EB can do is have you send it back to California.