1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man St. Vincent Design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Apr 17, 2018.

1. As most of you probably know, Music Man announced that they were working on a St Vincent bass in conjunction with Pino Paladino.

I just realized what the St Vincent design looks like:

G82713-2.jpg

85fecdfd3adfe8f18d289b07f94f14af--happy-hour-ceilings.jpg

It's the perfect outline of a woman's dress!

And I can't wait till it comes out... I'd totally rock a dress shaped bass!

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Being a female bass player, I must commend you on your eye for detail.

You caught my interest when you said MusicMan St Vincent Design.

I’m comjunction with Pino Palladino is the exclamation point !!

3. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    Yes, St. Vincent is quite the fashion icon.

MattZilla and phillipkregg like this.
  4. Ha, yeah I'm not sure how big of a role he plays but when Sterling Ball posted the announcement on Music Man's Facebook page, St Vincent was there and mentioned Pino's involvement.

I can't wait for more details about the instrument to come out. Apparently it will have 3 pickups and will be a 32" scale - that's all I know so far.

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Is it black & blue or white & gold?

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Damn. That's too bad.
    Too many pickups, not enough scale length.
    But it does make sense. If they stick with anything close to that body shape it would be very difficult to make a 34" scale instrument that didn't neck dive terribly.

And I say that as a big fan of the guitar version and how it was designed.

jackn1202 and Gabbs like this.
  7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'd venture a guess the pickups are there for counterweight - along with the short neck, maybe it won't neck dive? Maybe. But yeah, it probably will.

phillipkregg likes this.
  8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I love that guitar and it plays super well! Reminds me of the old Gretch Bo Diddly guitar.
    Can't wait to see the bass version. :D

phillipkregg likes this.
  9. Jack White was just on SNL playing the St Vincent:

upload_2018-4-17_19-33-3.png

It's definitely a cool looking design - sort of a modern take on the Thunderbird.

Will be awesome if Pino starts playing the bass version when it debuts.

I'm super psyched over it and hope there is a 5 string in the works.

Dasgre0g, smperry, spaz21387 and 2 others like this.
  10. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    As my female friend (who has an Annie Clark sig) will tell you, the shape makes all the difference if you're a smaller, bustier woman, and it wears perfectly, whereas a Strat will always grab a boob. I'm a guy and shaped like a stick so an Annie Clark sig feels neck heavy.

11. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I don't get the cool-ish funky, point body with a plain ol' standard roundy type headstock[/QUOTE]

12. Not to derail the thread, but Jack's bass player Dominic is a friend of mine and was raving about the Supro bass that he's playing on this tour.

13. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I've been impatiently waiting for more details on this thing since I had heard about it. A 32" music man? Sign me up. I too will gladly rock a dress bass.

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That was my first thought too. My only electric guitars are EBMMs (a Cutlass and a Valentine) and I love them so I was eyeballing the St Vincent. I dig the design other than the headstock.

I'm guessing Sterling Ball's view is that they shouldn't change the headstock design on EBMM instruments. I get that rationale and their headstock works for the rest of their line even stuff like the Majesty or Albert Lee/Big Al. But they did it for the Bongo (even if that was the work of an outside design team) and it fits much better than their normal one would have. I think when the headstock sticks out like a sore thumb it's okay to deviate a bit from the standard design.

Supro basses are cool, but more awesome that you know Jack White's bass player. And both the Supro bass and the St. Vincent make sense. They are new but they have the "offbeat/funky old instrument" vibe that Jack White has always favored.

15. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Gee, here's a novel idea...

Instead of designing a bass bearing the name of a player that doesn't even play bass (and isn't even taken seriously in the guitar world), why don't they hone in on the Pino Palladino portion of that news and design a bass with the input of one of BASS GUITAR'S finest players and one that BASS GUITARISTS actually look up to?

What is EBMM thinking these days??? A St. Vincent bass sounds about as smart of an idea as having 15 different John Petrucci signature guitars.

Fender could keep making the Pino P-Bass and have it be a representation of Pino's classic go-to Precision... but an EBMM Pino signature bass could be a new, ground-up design built with Pino's input, designs and suggestions, just as EBMM did with the Eddie Van Halen model guitar years ago. I bet bassists would really dig something like that.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    GHOST AT, andruca, wmmj and 3 others like this.
  16. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Love everything Annie does, but even if she had nothing to do with this at all, I like this guitar. The idea of this shape as a 3 pickup bass is already a ton more appealing to me than the Big Al. I do think that the bottom two lines could be extended down further a few inches to encourage better balance with a bass neck (and bonus: then it's less of a guitar with a bass neck bolted on).

Also, fender didn't just stick the stray headstock on everything, that head has got to go!

17. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    I kind of applaud EBMM for at least trying something different...and they are known for this kind of thing so I'm not surprised. I think the reason that it will be 32 scale is to kind of keep a similar proportion to the guitar and with the body shape you can only move the bridge back so far. I like the look but as is the case with current EBMM pricing, I'm afraid it will be out of my range.

mikewalker likes this.
  18. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Oh, any chance of a 5 string variant?

19. jacksonev94

jacksonev94

May 12, 2012
    Lynchburg, VA
    What the heck are you going on about? She’s a talented multi instrumentalist (she plays bass), arranger, and songwriter. She’s won a Grammy, studied at Berklee, and was a member of Sufjan Stevens’ band. I’d say she has earned more respect than most of her critics.

FDR Jones, FRoss6788, amper and 26 others like this.
  20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I have a EBMM Valentine. Fantastic guitar. I didn't even realize when I bought it that it was a signature model for James Valentine from Maroon 5. Similarly, I don't know that bassists cared that the EBMM Big Al was the bass version of the Albert Lee.

Personally I really like Annie Clark but even if I didn't I would dig the EBMM St. Vincent's design. I like things that are out of the ordinary and I dig modern/retro instruments.

As for Pino, it could be that he doesn't have any interest in creating a design. I mean, he's known for playing Fenders and MM Stingrays and even his current signature model is just a Fender reproduction of his own Pbass. I'm sure he would have invaluable input on the sound and playability though. 32" scale also sounds ideal for some of the neo soul stuff he does, especially with D'Angelo.

Anyway, somebody on the EBMM forums hand built their own St Vincent bass. I have no idea how close it will look to what Music Man rolls out, but I definitely dig the shape as a bass.

attachment.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Felix Lopez, mikewalker, JIO and 8 others like this.