1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRADED Music Man Sterling Classic Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Christcr, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Price:
    Strings:
    1050.00 Shipped east of Mississippi River.
    1000.00 Shipped west of Mississippi River.

Almost no trades... I might consider some variant of Fender Mustang bass. Other than that, no trades.

This one is in great shape, plays well, sounds killer. The combination of the series-wired alnico pickup and the two-band EQ gives it a ballzy, thick, old-school Stingray-ish tone. Strung with EB Cobalt Slinky Flatwounds--they sound fantastic on this bass. As you can see, the figured maple on the neck is to die for (looks even better in person). And the neck is fast as lightning with that great poly finish--smooth as butter. The body color, I believe is Powder Blue--to me it looks like almost a cross between fender's sonic blue and seafoam green. Don't know, maybe it's just my old eyes.

Everything is in working order. The only ouches (happened before I ever got the bass--I've babied it) would be a few dents and chips. Nothing horrible, just three or four little dents on the upper body edge (hardly noticeable), and one more significant chip/dent on the lower body edge by the input jack plate. Weight is very close to 9 pound (scale is not the most accurate). It's not a heavy bass.

Also included is a Music man case that has seen plenty of use but is in decent shape and also a basically new gig bag. The bass has strap locks "dual design" on it, but if you like I can try to find the originals in my parts bin. You also can see the Hipshot extender key--that will be included along with the original tuning machine.

Why am I getting rid of it? I'm switching back exclusively to my short scale Mustang basses (and upright).

SterlingClassic1.JPG
    SterlingClassic2.JPG
    SterlingClassic3.JPG
    SterlingClassic6.JPG
    SterlingClassic4.JPG
    SterlingClassic8.JPG
    SterlingClassic7.JPG
    SterlingClassic5.JPG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. brstma

brstma my dog is an awesome dog Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Florida
    I just got one not long ago and it's currently my favorite

3. Bibby

Bibby

Aug 24, 2000
    Beautiful bass! If that had a rosewood board I might be beyond tempted.

4 years on and my Sterling Classic is still the one.

4. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Yes, definitely a great bass all around. If I weren't planning on migrating back to short scale, I wouldn't be selling it. I may not anyway, depending on how it goes. As far as a long scale bass, I really can't think of any bass I'd rather have at any price, including the super high price boutique basses. This one does everything I need it to.

5. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    Sold or second thought?

6. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    At this point, second thought. Still have it for now.

7. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    Let me know if you put it back up.

8. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    That is an absolutely gorgeous bass.

9. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    It is about the prettiest Sterling I've had or seen. The figuring on the neck is pretty amazing.

10. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I have two of the standard 4H and one 4HH non-Classic Sterlings and I thought those were nice, this one is a cut above though.