Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Sterling Pup??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bizzaro, Aug 11, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have an opportunity to purchase a mm pup for 40 bucks. MM's are made for active electronics and I want to put it in my P bass which is passive. Will I have to change my bass to active to get the most out of the MM? I really don't want to have to do that. What will happen if I install it anyway? And what is the difference between active and passive pups? Number of windings? Please respond asap. I don't want to lose this deal if it will work.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you can use a musicman pickup perfectly fine passive. imo, they are great sounding
    pickups run passive. however, if it is a sterling pickup, you will have to route extra deep to accomadate the third coil of the pickup. the sterling has the hum cacelling coil which is just stuck on the bottom of the normal size stingray pickup.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks narud. I was hoping that would be the answer. Any Ideas on how to fashion a jig? The routing shouldn't be a problem. I have a plunge router that should work nicly, but I haven't a clue what to use for a jig. Do you know the design difference's in passive and active pups?

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Anyone else thoughts or history with using active pups in a passive bass? Especially the Music Man Sterling Pickup? Will it be a waste to install it in the Fender P. I could also use it in my TRB and trade the TRB pup out for the P bass? Hey what do ya think? It is all new to me.:D

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think you may be confusing some things. the mm pickup is not active. it is a passive pickup. the basses themselves have active preamps, but that doesnt mean the pickup is active. when you put a mm pickup in a p bass you still are using nothing but passive pickups.

when you mix and match pickups that arent meant to be combined you might get some balance problems when you have the two equally blended and you might not. but, what you are planning should work fine.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks for the clarification. So What does the preamp do? And I Y O the combination of split coil with the mm will work? I know the sterling mm has a bunch of wiring capabilities which I will have to figure out to make the most of it. I was considering keeping the p split and the mm seperate so I can cut or blend any combo of them I want. Any suggestions?
    You obviously have experience at this. Any thoughts on the switch with my TRB.

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    You can make a routing template out of steel or plexiglass. See the link from Stew-Mac for an example.

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/haze.../p.html&A=+NAME_LINK=Pickup_Routing_Templates

You can purchase router bits with a small bearing on them that is designed to follow a template.

As far as the MM pickup goes, I wouldn't mess with the three coil Sterling unit for your application. Just get a two coil and wire it with a seperate volume control, tone control and a series/parallel switch and you should be set.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    :( But the sterling is the one I have and I am commited to using it. Why does that make it more complicated. Can't I get a switch that will handle the sterling and wire it seperate to the jack keeping my P bass splits seperate? This is all new to me.

9. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    You can use it, no problem. You just need to revise the routing and do a little more wiring to deal with the phantom coil. I'm not familiar enough to say for sure, but you may be able to just bypass the phantom coil.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the mm triple coil pickup isnt like a bart triple coil that has 6 leads. the phantom coil is wired into the rear coil and has 4 leads+a shield like a regular dual coil pickup. the wiring isnt any more complicated with a stock sterling pickup than it is with a duncan replacement mm pickup.

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    :) So any suggestions as to how to wire this pup in? It will be onboard with a standard P bass split coil. Should I wire it totally seperate or use the pots on the guitar and add a switch and blend pot? And for you mm owners out there, could someone measure the placement of the pup for me. Let say from the center of the E string saddle to the first edge of the route and again from the G string saddle to the edge of the route? That should give me a pretty accurate placement. The Music Man is a 34 inch scale, Correct?:D

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Any Music Man owners out there. The Sterling to be more specific. I would really appreciate some measurements so I can get my pickup in the right place.:rolleyes: