Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Sterling SUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Jun 2, 2004.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hey what's this? Music Man is now making a SUB version of the Sterling? I dig the Sterling but its even more expensive than the Stingray 4. However if the SUB version is priced like the Stingray SUB; I think I could give it a shot.

Has anyone actually played one? Has anyone compared it back to back with a conventional Sterling?

Thanks

Ron

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've played one, and i was pretty surprised by it. It's obviously not as polished an instrument as the "real" Sterling, but it's still pretty damn nice! It even comes with a 3-band active EQ stock, although it doesn't have the triple-coil pickup with the 3-position switch.

Nice bass.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    That's great to hear! But you know, I hate painted necks (why do they do this? Ugly maple underneith?). One of the cool things about conventional Sterlings is that J-ish styled, very user-friendly neck. Do you find the SUB Sterling's neck a bit on the sticky side due to that pain?

Thanks

r

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ron -

Actually, I don't find the paint to be any impediment to moving around on the neck, if anything it's actually a bit easier to move than a gloss finish is! The neck dimensions are identical to the "real" Sterling, from what my hands felt.

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Where did you play it? I am in Baltimore and haven't seen one :( I played a real Sterling at GC, but it was a bit dear. An SUB verison would hella rock.

6. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I posted about this bass a few weeks back after I saw one appear at BassNW.com. They got another one in about a week later, but I think they sold one of them already.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah! I saw the SUB Sterling on Bass North too. Here's a couple of pics. I think I could hang with this in black if the neck is like Gard said.

Ron