1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man Sterling SUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Jun 2, 2004.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hey what's this? Music Man is now making a SUB version of the Sterling? I dig the Sterling but its even more expensive than the Stingray 4. However if the SUB version is priced like the Stingray SUB; I think I could give it a shot.

Has anyone actually played one? Has anyone compared it back to back with a conventional Sterling?

Thanks

Ron

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've played one, and i was pretty surprised by it. It's obviously not as polished an instrument as the "real" Sterling, but it's still pretty damn nice! It even comes with a 3-band active EQ stock, although it doesn't have the triple-coil pickup with the 3-position switch.

Nice bass.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    That's great to hear! But you know, I hate painted necks (why do they do this? Ugly maple underneith?). One of the cool things about conventional Sterlings is that J-ish styled, very user-friendly neck. Do you find the SUB Sterling's neck a bit on the sticky side due to that pain?

Thanks

r

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ron -

Actually, I don't find the paint to be any impediment to moving around on the neck, if anything it's actually a bit easier to move than a gloss finish is! The neck dimensions are identical to the "real" Sterling, from what my hands felt.

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Where did you play it? I am in Baltimore and haven't seen one :( I played a real Sterling at GC, but it was a bit dear. An SUB verison would hella rock.

6. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I posted about this bass a few weeks back after I saw one appear at BassNW.com. They got another one in about a week later, but I think they sold one of them already.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah! I saw the SUB Sterling on Bass North too. Here's a couple of pics. I think I could hang with this in black if the neck is like Gard said.

Ron