Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Sterling SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Jun 27, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm finding it hard enough to find Sting Ray SUBs out there (I'm in Western Massachusetts). However, I have yet to even see a Sterling SUB. I've tried regular Sterlings and REALLY liked the neck and tone. But hey, its a bit pricey for me. I think a SUB model might fit the bill, but I can't find one to mess around on. Anybody actually try one out? Anybody own one? Hot or not?

Thanks!

r

2. I can say that I have tried the stingray version and the only thing that was stopping me from buying it was the painted neck and the horrible textured finish. If these are not issues, I would go for it.

If not, maybe see if there are any used sterlings kicking about.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I played one at GC a while back and it just didnt feel right it could have been because the action was a little high for my tasste but I also agree that the textured finish is hiddious

4. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    It cannot be said that the finish on a SUB bass is terrible. The textured finish takes less time to apply - that and a few other things equals a lower price tag. Having said that, a SUB is not as nice as a StingRay or Sterling, but they're some of the best basses $ can buy in their price range.

Get the Sterling SUB, you won't regret it.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm also not a big fan of painted necks and consequently leaned more towards the G&L Tribute line for a potential back up bass. But after trying the Stingray SUB, I found the neck wasn't half bad despite the paint. Yeah, the body finish isn't exactly pretty but that's no big whoop to me (though I'd lose that industrial looking pick gaurd if I bought one!).

But I still haven't gotten any feedback from someone who has actually tried or better yet own a Sterling SUB. I'm really curious about this one because I know it has a Jazz style neck which I'm really partial to. Also, unlike the active 2-band eq. Stingray SUB model, I believe the Sterling has a 3-band eq. for some funky mid-scooping. The body is a bit on the dinky side but for the playability and tone, I’ll deal. Overall the Sterling SUB sounds pretty cool but I'd like to find out more from someone who has test driven the thing.

Come on, SOMEONE must own one of these puppies! Where are ya, help a guy out! ;)

r

6. Well, with the Sterling SUB, you lose the 3-way coil-tap the higher end Sterlings have... Not a plus in any means.

The only negatives that kept me from buying a SUB is...

Uncontoured body
    No coil-tap

That's it. the appearence is something easily to get over for me... Besides, go to the hardware store and buy some sand paper, and some sort of wood finish, and voil! no more crappy paint! I also find the pick guard atoricous, but that also is easily fixable!

Good Luck!
    ~Ryan.