Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Sting Ray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ablinow, Nov 12, 2000.

1. ablinow

ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    I'm think of buying an Ernie Ball Music Man Sting Ray but I'm not sure how it compares. Its supposed to be a great funk bass and I agree but are there any other equivelent basses that may go for a lower cost?

2. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I own a StingRay, purchased recently, and do not regret my purchase. It is a five string, probably more akin to the Sterling model. I love this bass. It has made all of my other basses (save the upright) obsolete on the show circut. I looked around for quite a while for the five string that was right for me, and in this price range, the Music Man cannot be beaten. I would recommend their four stings as highly. I am looking for a used Stingray or Sterling fretless to complement my 5. Check them out!

3. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I used to own an Ibanez ATK 300 and than was a great bass. Yeah I know I'm saying this about an Ibanez but it must have been the one they got perfect. You could pick one of those up but it's no Ray. I love the Ray and it's truely one of the world's great basses. The only thing I don't like about it is that the neck feels short a stumpy to me. I know it's 34" scale but for some reason it just feels short and stumpy. Matbe i'm just crazy.

4. fattest tone in all the lands!
    stingrays!4 or 5 !
    get a 3 band eq on one
    and let loose you cant escape the rumble!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mark -

I have a Stingray 5. It plays fine, but to me, the neck feels "club-like", especially when compared to my Lakland. I can see "short and stumpy" though.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a Stingray 5 for 3 years now and I'm VERY happy with it, I would buy another one if it got stolen.
    Compared to other basses the Stingray has a very ballsy sound wich really cuts through and sounds very clear (e.g. compared to my '79 Fender Jazz)
    When I was looking around for a 5 string I also tested the Ibanez ATK - I guess it's the best low cost alternative (it came closest to the Stingray sound IMHO).
    BTW the Stingray 5 is more like a Sterling, as far as I know and also has a very slim neck. But I've seen 4 string Stingrays with VERY thick necks, wich I did not like.

Matthias

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a 97 Stigray 4 with the 3 band eq and I like Mine :)
    Fat tone, great craftsmanship, and they take a beating. I would really love a pre Ernie though.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a 3yr old Stingray 5 as well. Yes the neck is clubby but I find that unless you custom order a handmade bass you have to live with something. Its the low end grunt that does it for me. I also have another bass which does everything the Stingray doesn't.

I find people love em or hate em. In the end its your wallet.

9. buy one.

i personally guarantee you will love it.

if i am wrong you can give it to me, i'll even pay the postage!

they play and sound great. bouncy, alive, thumping, beefy bass.

10. I have two Stingrays and four Fenders. The Fenders are fine, well actually very good, but if someone offered me another four Fenders for my two Stingrays I wouldn't and couldn’t do it.
    Stingrays are special.
    Get a Stingray.

11. Get it!!! Due to my GAS, I'm going to get another.You might also want to check out the Sterlings,especially if you see the one in the previous issue of Bass Player.She's a hottie!!!

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Sorry if that's stupid, but what do you (Munjibunga, CS) mean by 'club-like' and 'clubby' - my English seems to be not good enough...
    Matthias

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    BIG-no problem :)

14. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I have an early Stingray 5, serial #50436, that left the factory 1/24/89 according to MM. Any ideas as to what year the necks became clublike? The neck on mine is anything but clublike as it is actually quite a bit smaller than my Lakland, but after playing the Lakland for a year and a half I find I'm not too fond of the narrow MM string spacing.

15. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I just got my bass sept 4 2000, great fregin bass. The tone is fantastic and for the price can't be beat. As for the club like neck or chubby neck, those first appeared when bass players hands began to get "midget" like. Stop your whinnin'

16. ablinow

ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    Thanks for the replies. It sounds like its a great bass to have.

17. ....I am ready to take a beating by many members but, I like my G&L over any stingray that I played..... I have a L-2500 Check it out its around the same price but a little less costly.......

....if you groove it, they will come.....

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Christos even though I disagree its a valid point. G and L basses are simular and in the end its about personal taste.

19. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Stingrays are really great. If I'd have to sell all my basses except one, stingray would be a keeper. But I don't know which one of them :)

G&L are also great, they have more sounds available.. but they just don't do it for me. They don't make me jump and they don't make me wanna play all night long. But try them out anyhow.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Matthias - Ever hold a baseball bat?