Music Man StingRay 4-Sting Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancrosbie, Apr 25, 2005.

1. dancrosbie

Apr 25, 2005
    Which bass guitar could I get that would be similar and also sound similar to the Music Man Stingray 4-string bass without spending $1,000? Thanks.
  2. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Err........... a used MM Stingray :D nothing sounds like a Ray except a Ray.
    Pick one up on Ebay?
  3. I second that.
    Buy a used Stingray, and save.
    Used range for a current 4 banger is $600-850.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Nothing sounds like a Ray.
  5. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Some people say that the ibanez attack series sound like rays.... but if you want a ray, get a ray. I got mine used and have had it for 5 years , in that time it has seen a lot of gigging and practices etc NO problems whatsoever. buy one
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

with that out of the way - a sterling sounds like a ray.

i believe a sub can also sorta do the trick.
  7. Yeah, a used Ray or check out the SUB, or OLP...
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that SUBs sound like rays because they are rays with a cheaper finish and a slab body. I have owned a SUB 4 and a SUB5, I now own a SR5 and they all had that sound. The OLP get the essence of the Stingray sound but with no subtlety and very little ability to shape tone. Needless to say it has the finish of a $200+ import, not a $1,000-1,500 USA made bass. THe OLP is great bare bones or beginner bass.

The old ATK is a classic! I'd take one in a minute if I had the spare cash right now.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    By the way, is $229 too much for new OLP 4?
  10. amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    i saw a knockoff of a sting ray on ebay for 110 bux. the second i saw it i thought "gee, i wonder if it actually sounds like a sting ray." im thinkin of just pickin up a knockoff bass on ebay so i can save money. if it sounds crappy i'll just buy some good pickups and see if it changes the tone. i just want a cheap bass that i dont have to worry about dinging p at gigs and whatnot.
  11. Go the route of a used Ray off ebay or similar, or get an active SUB 4. I went the SUB route and have been well happy with the results - although from a comfort point of biew not everyone gets on with the slab body.

Finish is a love/hate thing.........more than likely you'll love it or hate it! :bassist: