1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MUSIC MAN STINGRAY 4 STR BASS QSTN?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stones18, Sep 25, 2008.

1. stones18

stones18

Jan 28, 2008
    Hey guys... well Ive fallen into some money and i want a 4 string Sting Ray ernie ball. But im seeing one model with one pickup and another with two, both stingrays look identical. So my question to you is what is the difference between the one with one pick-up and the one with two. Im kinda leaning towards the one with two, im kinda thinking it has more punch and more versatility in the sound. But i could be wrong it could be the other way around where the One-Pick up Sting Ray is better sounding. If it helps any my main groove of playing is blues and classic rock. So if you guys could give me some backround info, and tell me how each one is different from eachother and in what ways the would be awesome, thanks guys

2. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I have the 4HH. Prior to there being an HH option, I never would have considered s Stingray.

The neck pickup gets you some deeper, fuller sounding tonal options.. which are the ones I use. It can get fatter and deeper than my Fender P, which is why I got it.

Very sweet sounding.

I hear.. if you slap, the neck pup can get in the way. And some people claim that you can't get "the classic Stingray (single pickup)" tone with the HH.

I don't know what that is, therefore I don't miss it. I always thought the single pickup, original version sounded thin and nasally.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The pick ups in the dual and single pup SR are the same. Additionally, the rear pup on the double bucker is in the same spot as the single bucker so setting aside the differences between individual basses, the SR4H and SR4HH should some the same.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I do a lot of slapping and the dual pickup models make slap difficult for me. I greatly prefer the single PU.

Many Stingray lovers prefer the sound of the single H config including me. Something to do with the placement of the pickup in "the sweetspot".:meh:

I have 2 (3rd on it's was) Stingrays currently and would never buy a HH dual pickup model.

Try them out though, as YMMV.

P.S. Strangely enough, I really like the sound of EBMM Bongos with dual H PU.

5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

I'm with you on this one. To me a stingray is a single H. That's just how I prefer it. I just can't get in to the HH ones. Tried, but not for me at the moment. I know lots of guys really like them. Also, I'm not one for HH basses in general. The aesthetic look of them isn't appealing to me. I could almost get into the SH stingrays, but those still don't do it for me just my .02 though.

6. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    when i decided to go back to the EBMM route. I tried every kind of model. Stingray, Sterling, Bongo. HH HS, single H.

the single H Stingray justed seemed to work for me.

Mind you, I like Sterlings, but I really don't hear drastic differences when using the 3 way switch. I have a Stingray V with the 3 way switch and I just leave it in the 1st (classic postion), you can tell, but I don't think there is a ton a difference if I played it in the other 2 possitions.

the HH models had a little variaton with the PU switching and that was nice, but I thought the classic bridge humbucker in parallel sounded the best, and was the 'stingray' tone. and yes that neck PU did get in the way of slapping. i mean you could set the HH up where it was a jazz style (single coil from each PU), but did it sound like a jazz... no.

Bongo.. never could get over the look. soundwise is much more modern thatn the stingray. Regardless, I did love the 24 frets and the extra mid control, but it is voiced differently and didn't have the warmness of stingray.

so that is why I went back to stingray H. with the onboard EQ and if i use a pick or fingers, I can cover most ground. It'll never perfectly mimick a Fender, but it's not supposed to.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well it doesn't have more 'punch' it's the same all the way across.
    The HH has very clever pickup switching. The classic rear pickup sound is loud, and when switching to the dual pickup selections the volume changes accordingly. But you're right, there is obvisouly more versatiliy with the selections: rear classic snarl, single coil selections have nice and gritty J tones, the center selection is fat and scooped, front is very P-ish with hi-fi flavor.

But with all that said, I found I didn't care much for 'versatility'. I always went back the classic StingRay sound I fell in love with in the first place, and all I have left are single H StingRays in the closet.