1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man Stingray 5 - Limited Run

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ThreeBeanSalad, Oct 31, 2013.

1. I'm selling my Music Man Stingray 5. It was part of the limited run made for Guitar Center to celebrate their 45th (I believe) anniversary. I bought it brand new at the store, January of 2010. It is still in that same immaculate condition. I've played it probably less than two hours in total time.

It is a beautiful cherry burst finish with with absolutely no scratches, inclusions, issues, or marks. If anything it's a bit dusty from not being used. It has a rare ebony fingerboard with mother of pearl and abalone round fret markers. I swapped out the stock Music Man black pickguard (which still has its plastic on) for a Music Man white pearl pickguard. I will also include another Music Man black abalone pickguard with it. Also, the stock black knobs were swapped for Music Man chrome knobs.

All original parts will be included in the case. The case is the nice stock case that comes with all Music Man basses and has all the case candy still inside, and in new condition.

Nothing of any sort has been done to any of the electronics. It has the fantastic 5 way switch for pickup selection. If you've played a Stingray, then you know what a wide range of sound options you get! As my bass teacher once told me, it does have that sweet Music Man growl.

I don't have an accurate scale anymore but I'm going to guess the weight is between 9 and 9.5 lbs.

Shipping will be done via FedEx or UPS. Please no overseas buyers. I don't dare take this bass apart just to send it abroad. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to packing and shipping my basses. Also, you can check my feedback for reassurance!

The asking price is $1650, that includes shipping. I'd prefer a USPS money order but PayPal will work fine too.

No unreasonable offer will be shunned. Please, though, no low-ballers. This is an uncommon type of Stingray and it's in brand new condition.

It has everything a Stingray should have and more. But it does need one thing... someone to play it!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Bean

:bassist:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. That's a sweet bass, dig the color!
    Wish I had cash to spare :( GLWTS though!

3. Bump!

4. mikewalk1

mikewalk1

Feb 7, 2011
    I PM'd you.

5. Bump!

6. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Ive been eyeing this...what makes it a special edition?

7. It was made by Music Man for Guitar Center's celebration of the chain's 45th anniversary. It's got an ebony fingerboard (not usually seen on Stingrays) and mother of pearl and abalone fret inlays (I haven't seen those on any other 'Rays. Although some Ball Family Reserve and Dargie Delights have cool fret markers too.)

Its DoB, right from Ernie Ball's info forums, is July 10, 2009. I bought it brand new, from Guitar Center in Plano, January 2010.

It is essentially a brand new bass. It's been sitting pretty either in its case or on display here in my office. Otherwise, it has very, very little play time. I've had it out for one lesson and that was it. I love the sound, the look, and the feel but honestly prefer the almost tiny body of the '96 Fender Jazz Deluxe I use now.

The only things that I changed were the knobs and the pickguard. I used authentic, brand new Music Man pieces for the replacements. I personally felt the pearl pickguard and chrome knobs were prettier than the flat black it came with. However, all the pieces are in the case with the remainder of the original case candy.

Thanks for looking!

8. kshewchuk

kshewchuk

Jun 3, 2007
    How would you say the ebony board sounds compared to rosewood or maple 'rays?

9. I honestly can't say! I haven't played other fretboards on Stingrays and my Fender is a Pau Ferro fingerboard!

10. Someone take this beauty home!

11. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I own one of these basses and I absolutely love it.

Bump for a great bass.

12. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Serious Bump. I had one of these but could not deal with the narrow spacing. The ebony seems to center the pitch - super effective in jazz-like contexts. Great axe! If they made this with 19mm, I'd have one. And the white pearl pick guard is a nice touch.

13. Here's some info about the 17.5mm spacing - LINK

I have to agree that the 17.5mm spacing for me is more natural... and I have fairly big hands. Now my old Thunderbird 5 had really narrow string spacing so that one was an issue. This one and my Deluxe Fenders feel great to me, spacing-wise.

14. A man hated his wife's cat and he decided to get rid of it.

He drove 20 blocks away from home and dropped the cat there.

The cat was already walking up the driveway when he approached his home.

The next day, he decided to drop the cat 40 blocks away but the same thing happened.

He kept on increasing the number of blocks but the cat kept on coming home before him.

At last he decided to drive a few miles away, turn right, then left, past the bridge, then right again and another right and so on until he reached what he thought was a perfect spot and dropped the cat there.

Hours later, the man calls his wife at home and asked her, "Jen is the cat there?"

"Yes, why do you ask?" answered the wife.

Severely frustrated, the man said, "Put that cat on the phone, I'm lost and I need directions."

15. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    bu dump bump......crash......

16. kshewchuk

kshewchuk

Jun 3, 2007
    pm'd

17. burdger

burdger

Apr 13, 2013