Music Man Stingray 5 switch problems - HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kobilly, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Kobilly

Kobilly

Apr 27, 2012
    Annapolis MD
    I just sold my '05 SR5 to a fellow TB'er
    He tells me when he received it looked great and sounded great until he switched to series position (switch towards neck) and when he did that it lost 50% output.
    This was not happening before I shipped it.

Has anyone out there experienced this before?

2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I haven’t, but regardless, it’s a tough spot fir both of you.

You probably sold the bass “as is”, which is the usual way individuals sell used merch to each other, unless there’s a specific agreement made between the two individuals.

I was in this position twice over the years. Once was with a phone I sold. It was perfectly intact, but it arrived with a cracked screen. I simply refunded the money and got the phone back. The other time was a bass amp. It worked perfectly, the cooling fan was quiet, but the buyer reported the fan to be very noisy when he got it. We agreed on a $75 and he was happy.

Whatever you do, keep the communication going until you work out an amicable solution. It could be refunding a portion of the price, it could be an offer to split the repair with the buyer, or cover all of it, if you feel responsible, or just offer to refund the money and get the bass back. Try to avoid bad blood if possible, but don’t discount the buyer being a jerk and demanding the world and your first-born. These days it’s “Buyers and Sellers both Beware”.

And I’ll bet you know every bit of what I just wrote...:D

If I were the buyer, you would be in luck. I love SR5s and I have absolutely no use for that position of the switch. I hate that sound, at any volume. Heck, I may have never noticed it!

Good luck.

EDIT: reading your post again, is it just the forward switch position that the bass lost the gain, or has it lost the gain in all positions since the buyer moved the switch and stayed that weak?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. Kobilly

Kobilly

Apr 27, 2012
    Annapolis MD
    I have no problem taking the bass back, and the buyer offered to pay the shipping since I ate the shipping in the original sale. We are all good but now I need to figure out the issue. According to him it only happens when in the series position. He seems to think it is the pickup

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would have the buyer pop the pickguard off a take a look. It may be something as simple as a loose connection.

5. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021