1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man StingRay Club | PART FIVE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fivestringgecko, Mar 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I recently bought my first StingRay. It couldn't really have happened until the last year or two, because before that every Ray I ever picked up was too heavy for my taste. But I gather they've started making them lighter, which I appreciate. They also introduced a neck-through version, which really got my attention because I like neck-through basses. So I am now the happy owner of this 2019 neck-through StingRay 5 HH.

Neck-through StingRay 5.jpg
    Back of neck-through StingRay 5.jpg
    It's my new #1. My band loves it. It fits into our sound perfectly. It weighs 9 lbs 10 oz -- not exactly light, but quite acceptable. And it sounds incredible and plays wonderfully.

2. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Congrats!!
    Love the look of those neck-throughs... Music Man has really been hitting things out of the park these last several years, giving us more and more reasons to buy their stuff LOL :D
    Enjoy!

Craig4003 likes this.
  3. So EBMM is still offering neck-throughs? For some reason, I thought those were discontinued.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Gorgeous! My first Stingray a sunburst 5HH with matching headstock and I loved that bass. The ONLY reason I sold it is because it was about 11 pounds and I found a basically brand new honeyburst 5HH that was just under 10 pounds (that was in 2007 and that honeyburst is still my #1).

Congrats and welcome to the club. :bassist:

Craig4003 likes this.
  5. I think they are discontinued now. Mine was made last July according to the EBMM serial number database.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  6. Craig4003 likes this.
  7. $350 is what my friend scored this stingray for from a guitarist he knew. It needed a ton of love but for about $35 in parts from musicman who were very accommodating allowing us to buy bridge parts, new truss rod wheel and nut for a very reasonable price. Add a set of strings and some love and it came out nicely. We decided to document it in video form. As can be seen from the truss rod wheel still image it was pretty bad.

HeavyDuty, Groovegestapo and Dilver like this.
  8. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Musicman is widely known for not selling OEM parts without first receiving original replaced parts. You are in the record books.

Dilver likes this.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nice score and rescue!

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  10. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Spending a little time on the sofa with my newest acquisition; 2011 "Retro Burst" Classic StingRay. I've had her nearly a week, and it's been tough to put her down-- such a wonderful instrument! Not too many of these around with the rosewood fingerboard, which is notable simply to justify posting a photo :D

ray2011couch.jpeg

11. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Some classics remain forever. Proven two band tone.

76 vintage musicman stingray 30.jpg

12. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Aaaaaaand I bought two more pre EBs. Ugh.
    The '79 fretless is a no brainer but I've never been a fan of that ugly ass mocha finish...why not though, right? I hate me.
    Screenshot_20200124-153732.png IMG_20200303_152928.jpg IMG_20200303_152921.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Tjazz5, relayer66, Yetiparty and 13 others like this.
  13. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    A couple of Bluebursts from 1989/90:

0SxsvMM.jpg
    A8pNPNq.jpg
    vbOrjOi.jpg
    U9nKOYE.jpg
    YcTHPIF.jpg

swink, Tjazz5, Yetiparty and 12 others like this.
  14. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    zRdHvIL.png

My goldie

Yetiparty, 73_Blazer, Tjazz5 and 9 others like this.
  15. @maxschrek that mocha finish looks absolutely stunning.

grrg63, maxschrek and mouthmw like this.
  16. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Agreed, love the mocha finish.

@maxschrek, if you don't like it, send it to me :D

maxschrek and Hypercaffium like this.
  17. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Thanks folks, I'm definitely starting to soften up a bit on my prejudice against it, especially considering what a great a great sounding player this one is. My intuition was right when it says to me, "buy dis one heeya!".

mouthmw likes this.
  18. Put a set of flats on it, classic look calls for classic sound. :p

19. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    maxschrek likes this.