1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man StingRay Club | PART FIVE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fivestringgecko, Mar 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    FenderOli likes this.
  2. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Here's my 1987 Trans Red for comparison:

o7Nn8Am.jpg
    fdNTLFC.jpg

3. Peltor

Peltor

Sep 15, 2019
    Norway
    Nope. Nothing on the headstock. So that is why I was a bit suspicious...

Well, that really look like the one on the pics....

4. Serial is at the bridge.

5. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
  6. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Hi all. Are the regular Ray and the Ray Slo Special necks interchangable? I have a 2011 and 2017 and want to swap them. I know it's not that difficult to try but I thought I'd ask first before undertaking it.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    They should be.

The Stingray Special necks would not be...

Ryno1330 likes this.
  8. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    Hi, I am looking to join this club very soon and I have a few questions! :D

I am leaning towards a SR5, and I am wondering what the average weight is? What is considered to be light? I had a J bass that was 10.x pounds, and I ended up eventually letting it go because of the weight. I see a few basses in the classifieds that are 10.75 pounds, and I am wondering if this is heavy or normal? Does anyone put hipshots on these to drop some weight? I don't play out, so I can spend a lot of time on the couch or sitting down with it, but I don't want to buy a "heavy" bass if I can just wait around until something lighter appears.

Also, I am not sold yet on the older Ceramic PU or the Alnico 3 band (non classic) . . . any input on these?

9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have two SR5s that near 11lbs. But I also have two SR5 Specials in the upper 8 and low 9lb. range. If weight is a major concern, I suggest looking at the Specials.

10. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks, that is one of the many reasons that they appeal to me, but for now I might take the extra weight to save on the (used) price. I am glad to hear that 10lbs isn't too far out of line in terms of average weight!

11. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Jersey Pine Barrens
    FWIW - I have a SR5 with dual humbuckers and it weighs in at 9.4 lbs. this is not a Special, I bought mine new in 2012.

many SR5’s will weigh over 10 lbs but there certainly are lighter ones out there. I can easily say my SR5 is my desert island bass. Weight isn’t everything. I have a really nice 5 string L series G&L also... while lighter than the SR5 by 1/2 lb; the ‘Ray would be more comfortable on a really long gig.

Dave W likes this.
  12. My 2019 SR5 HH Neck-Through weighs 9 lbs 10 oz. Certainly not one of my lighter basses, but I find it comfortable.

I've never played a Ray with the old-style two-band EQ. I'm happy with the 3-band EQ that mine has. I like having the option to adjust the mids separately from the bass and treble. But I would imagine the center points for the bass and treble bands are probably different between the 2- and 3-band designs, so I can understand that some people will strongly prefer one over the other.

13. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks guys, I am looking at one now from 05 that weighs 10.75 lbs, it looks really sharp, and I am afraid that if I get too picky, then I will be waiting around forever to find something. Then again, as soon as I pull the trigger on this, an 8.x pound firemist purple w/ maple neck is going to show up! :D

steveinohio and jefff100 like this.
  14. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Jersey Pine Barrens
    I’m one of those oddball people who never got too concerned about the weight of a bass if it felt good when wearing it. The overall ergonomic package combined is what matters.

Weight is one factor along with balance, neck profile & width & the overall fit of the body.

I’ve bought & subsequently sold other, lighter basses because the ergonomics weren't as good so I didn’t enjoy playing them as much.

Wolfhound32 and highway like this.
  15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ha!
    Hi way. :D

I've owed two Stingray 5HH's. The first was about 10.5-11 pounds and I fell so in love with the overall sound, the versatility, the feel, and the looks (I'm a sucker for bursts and it was a vintage sunburst with matching headstock and tortoise shell pickguard :drool:) that I never really cared much about the weight. But it was a relatively heavy bass. About a year or two later I saw my current Stingray pop up for sale and it was advertised at less than 10 pounds and it was also even prettier in my opinion (it didn't have the matching head stock but EBMM's discontinued honeyburst is GORGEOUS! :drool: :drool: :drool:). I couldn't resist trying an even lighter SR5HH and I don't regret it. It's been my #1 from day 1. At about 9.5 pounds it feels just fine to me, noticeably lighter than my L-2500. Lighter weight Stingrays are definitely out there and my impression is that one of the design goals of the current line was reducing the average weight.

IIRC my first Stingray was a 2004 and I confirmed with EBMM that my current one is a 2007, so both have the Sterling's ceramic magnet pickups (and I believe the Sterling 5 preamp as well?). It can do a good, hard, growly tone but the pickup selector switch and the EQ make it a really versatile bass. My band does mostly classic rock and blues but we have songs from Linda Ronstadt to Cream and Steppenwolf in our set list and it handles them all really well. I usually bring both my Stingray and L-2500 to gigs but sometimes I just play my Stingray for entire four-set shows just because I can. I haven't done that with my L-2500. To be honest, as a purely rock bass, I'd probably go with my L-2500 most of the time. But my Stingray is also great as a rock bass and, IMHO, covers a wider range of tones even better than my L-2500 does.

I would be curious to try an alnico Stingray or a current model neo pickup Singray, though, to see how those version compare to mine.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  16. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks, I know I'm a couch player too, and it seems like other than weight everything really lines up for me, so I am excited to tak the chance on one. I really wish I could go demo something at GC this weekend, but the world is on lockdown.

That is great to hear, I've had a nice Jazz, P, and the only bass I haven't owned is a Ray. I'm very excited for the tones since I like to play a lot of funk. The Alnico demos I've heard all sound great. I just can't seem to find a newer Ray at this time, and the Ceramic PU is classic.

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. Crashorama

Crashorama

Jan 27, 2017
    Best NBD Ever!!!!

IMG_2679.jpg

18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Sweet!!!

Crashorama likes this.
  19. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    Looks like I will be an official member, once this ships!

May I have a number please?

IMG_4534.jpeg

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Beautiful basses!