1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man Stingray, new or 1990 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OptiMuSP, Aug 20, 2007.

1. OptiMuSP

OptiMuSP

Aug 20, 2007
    Hello.
    I am not so familiar with Music Man basses, regarding which production periods are better than others (or is it like Fender - the older the better :)

So a question for all you Stingray experts out there - for app. the same price, which would be your preferred bass, a 1990 or a 2006 model?

Thanks a lot for answering!

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I like the older ones, if you can deal with the razor blade pole pieces. I prefer finished necks, and there were some killer birdseye necks around then. The quality of the new MMs is fine, too.

3. OptiMuSP

OptiMuSP

Aug 20, 2007
    Thanks for the fast reply!

I actually like non-finished necks better, both of this basses are like this, one has rosewood fingerboard and one maple. I already own a rosewood Pbass (1979), but am lately also drawn toward maple fboards. So another dilema for me :)

Here are some pics, I just hope no one from my country steals these away ;)

Stingray 1990
    Stingray 2006

So what'ya think?

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    some people prefer the older ones, but the difference is extremely small IMO. Its not like fenders where people make such a big deal about it. If it was between like a 78 or 79 and a new one for the same price id say the older one. On a 1990 era one there shouldnt be really any difference. King Biscuit is right, the older ones had more birdseye, but i also heard the reason they stopped using birdseye is becuase they were having neck warping problems. Its so darn pretty though.

5. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

They stopped using birsdseye, because it got too expensive. This is well documented.

6. OptiMuSP

OptiMuSP

Aug 20, 2007
    Hm, forgive my ignorance, but what is a birdseye?
    Google confuses me even more :)

7. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Both of those basses are going to be high quality, and they are going to sound the same, since they both have the 3-band eq.

The 1990 bass will have a gloss neck, and I like haveing the bridge mute system. I like the feel of the gloss and the neck will not get dirty like the new ones.

But if you prefer an unfinished neck, then you may have already made your choice. You won't go wrong either way.

9. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    id say unless price is an issue the new MMs are the way to go. i have a bunch of em and theyre all top notch.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like older ones because the birdseye is nice. The neck warping thing is a myth.

I have a 1997 and a 2006 and quality wise they are both top notch. The 1997 is obviously a lot more broken in feeling but they both are very high quality.

11. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I personally would take the one with the maple fretboard.