Music man Stingray prices???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexvs, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    How much does a Sting Ray usually cost?
    Anyone know how much I can expect to pay in Sweden?
    What's their adress on the net?

2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Here in the US StingRays run around $1200-2000. Try they have the 4,5 in 'ray & Sterling. [i'm not sure bout the lefties though]. thats all
  3. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Alex: it all depends on where you live, what store you go to etc... -=) Its around $1400 here.... It just depends

5. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Haven't you checked from your local stores what they're asking? My guess would be somewhere near 14 000 or 15 000 SEK new, 8000-10000 SEK used (good condition).. I can't really tell cause I don't how much one kr. is at the moment.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Finding used Stingrays are not so common in Sweden. Usually, if you find a used one in the USA, buying it from them and having them ship it to you could be a better deal than buying one here!
    If you find one at e.g. Bass Northwest (, for USD 700-800, add approx USD 150 for the shipment, and you'll end up getting it cheaper than what people usually demand for their used ones in Sweden. I saw one guy demanding 11000 SEK for a used four, and that is a bit too much.

However, if you find a decently priced one in Sweden, maybe it's worth the extra 1000 SEK for so, when you practically can have it in no time, whereas international transports could take forever (or at least feel that way).

I was considering buying a used Ray 5 (with beauuutiful trans teal finish) for 799 + shipment. I never actually bought it, because I didn't know then if I would continue playing bass when doing university studies... it turned out that I play a lot more nowadays than before, and I hate myself for not buying it...

(FYI: 1 USD is approximately 10 SEK.)
  7. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ok.. Used stingrays run for something like.. umm.. 8500 SEK here in Finland. I paid someting around 8000 for a mint condition four string a few years back. And I'm sure that there are more used stingrays in Sweden than Finland, so I'd keep on looking.
  8. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

well I don't live in Europe but I find it common that in everywhere on this planet, used Stingrays hold a high resale value...why is that? are they really better than say AmStd Fenders? or Tobias and Alembic that has a rediculousley low resale value to them?
  9. I paid $1045. out the door with hard shell case at GC about six months ago. Best prices I've seen on the net were at Music 123. I own an am st fender jazz also and as to your ? yes the stingrays are that much better
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seems to me I paid about $1100 plus tax at GC for a Stingray 5. That included an SKB case.
  11. I paid $1200 for mine with a three band eq and Ernie Ball case. I'm sure you could find a mailorder that's a little cheaper and would ship overseas without any trouble. here's a direct link to the dealer list on the ernieball website..

[Edited by magdalena on 10-22-2000 at 04:04 PM]
  12. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    in today's (10/22) issue of tbl, there was a post from someone who was trying to sell his stingray 4 for $700 (btw, he also had other gear for sale). if you could talk him down to say $650, then after s/h it would prob only run you 8000 sek, which is what tuomas said was 'bout norm for your set.

he said he was cool with cod's and paypal, so you could somewhat protect yourself.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If we're talking about buying a bass over the net and shipping it to Sweden - I would have to say forget it! No matter how cheap it appears to be, the problem will be import duties, customs charges and tax. I have relatives in Sweden and they say that they are just about the only country in Europe that pays more tax than England (!!) and I know that basses coming into the UK will get slapped with huge charges from customs and tax. There are exceptions of course - like the MusicYo store with a base in Europe which avoids this - but they only sell cheap basses and not Stingrays.

I think the best way to go is to find a shop in Europe that will ship a Stingray, but shipping from the US is definitely a non-starter. Otherwise I would buying all my stuff like that!
  14. Actually I bought a Sterling second hand from the US, private party. The funny thing was that it was never even played, since the former owner bought it for a good cause at a charity auction (she didnt even play bass!!!) so it was actually brand new so to speak. It is the newer model with short bridge without those cool mufflers.

So i got it, with case, for $750 + shipping and customs and stuff. Here comes the good part: when everything was payed off I compared it to the price of a new one here in Sweden WITHOUT a case and it turned out that i had saved almost $700 on it. Ok so dont have any warranty on it but hey for that price?! Who can resist that? Anyway the customs they calculate the fee based on the value of the goods, so if you can get the one who sells it to write it down a couple of hundred $ and also write used on the ticket.. there wont be that much of a problem. The customs crew rarely check whats within and what it is really worth, if they dont have a very good cause.

But then again I could have been severely ripped off in this deal, lucky me that I didnt! :) I had to transfer all the money by wire to this persons account in advance.. so maybe Im a fool, but now I have that bass and i love it!

Any good dealer will ship it to you properly, for example

Good Luck!