Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music man stingray through trace elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspunk2005, May 3, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I heard that musicman stingrays sound crappy through a trace elliot bass amp.is this true or is that someones opinion. IM thinking of getting one and wanted other peoples opinion if that have ever heard or tried this combination before. Any comments will be appreciated.

2. I haven't tried that, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that it was just their opinion. You won't know what you like until you try it for yourself.

3. `I bet Tony Levin would disagree.

4. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I used a Trace RAH600SMX head with (2) Bag End D10X-D cabs for years - with a Stingray.

Probably one of the best "sounds" I've come across so far. Sold the head and cabs in an attempt to find something "better."

That was 2 years ago - still haven't come across a better combination! I ended up getting another pair of Bag End cabs and if I could find a Trace (SMX) head for a reasonable price - I'd buy it today.

If you like the "scooped" sound - it doesn't get any better than this!

Go for it! It's a great combination!

Bob

5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    tony levin? pshaw... not like he's any good ;)

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I play a Stingray and I have (and have had) a few Traces. No crappiness to my ear at all. In fact, in my opinion, the voicings are quite agreeable.

7. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    A guy I know plays a stingray through an AH350 SMX and 4x12 Trace cab, he plays funk and it sounds fantastic.

8. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Stingray through Trace, especially the Series 5 or 6 preamps is a fantastic match. I haven't found a better combination for my 1979 Ray, something is happening between the output and the Trace preamps that is huge and solid, tons of bottom and any kind of definition that you want. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't tried hard enough IMO, and it isn't hard to get powerful sounds with this combo!

9. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i played my MM SUB (yes yes, i know...its not a stingray) through an old AH250 once - pretty nice, although you had to tweak to get a good sound

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've used one with my Trace and it sounded pretty freakin sweet. Don't own one, but I have a G&L L2k and its a match made in heaven. Now, If I had some Bag End's like Bass-Only...I'd be set for life....right after I got a stingray. :D

11. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    cheers for the advice, i got a trace ah3007 going through 2 trace 4x10s one with tweeter the other without.just woundering the combination as i think musicman subs and stingrays have a v gd sound