Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music man Stingray vs sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xvertirx, Jul 15, 2002.

1. What r the differences between these two? I can only tell that the sterling seems a little smaller maybe? i'm not sure

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, for one thing, the Sterling has 2 pickups and the Stingray has 1. I believe the electronics are very different, as well.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    The Sabre is the two pickup bass, not the Sterling. The Sterling is very similar to the Stingray 5. It has the same big humbucker that the Stingray has but it has a three position switch wich allows the bass to be in series, single coil and parallel modes where the Stingray was parallel only. The body and the headstock are also somewhat downsized from the Stingray. And the Sterling comes with standard 3 band EQ where the Stingray has a 2 or 3 band EQ option.

4. So what exactly happens when I select series, single coil, or parallel mode? What does this do to the sound? I never understood how to select pickups in order to produce different tones. Please explain

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not to be a jerk, but please search the archives. This one has been covered numerous times, and you'll find many posts on this very topic.

6. So my newbieness shows...I forgot about searching. I feel so lame. Off to searching the archives.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No biggie - welcome to TB, by the way!