1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man style pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Taranis101, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Taranis101

Taranis101

Sep 23, 2009
    Bellaire, MI
    I just bought a Copley CEB-51NT. It has MM style pickups, passive, 5 string. The one I bought was a floor model and the bridge pickup is messed up. I need to replace them, but I didn't have much luck finding any online. Can you guys suggest some good replacements? Thank you

2. Taranis101

Taranis101

Sep 23, 2009
    Bellaire, MI
    Sorry, CBE-59NT... I'm really tired. Hah. XD

3. I had an active EMG MMTW in one of my basses. Good pickup, very noiseless and can be switched between a humbucker and a stacked J. Sound was warmer, and a bit scooped and modern if that's what you're going for.

If you're looking for something bright, and more high end bite I wouldn't go for it. I'd go for a Seymour Duncan if you want the opposite of EMG.

4. Taranis101

Taranis101

Sep 23, 2009
    Bellaire, MI
    I was looking for passives though. I prefer them over active. Besides, it's a passive bass, no battery.

5. How is the pickup messed up? Pickups rarely develop internal faults, contrary to what a lot of folk say (well-meaning bad badly-informed).
    Chances are you just need to resolder a connection.

6. Taranis101

Taranis101

Sep 23, 2009
    Bellaire, MI
    Well it's kind of hard to explain. The metal exposed rods on the bridge pickup fell inside the cover. Only the low B string half though. Is that an easy fix?

7. Have you removed the pickup?

It sounds to me like the actual pickup fell inside and you just have the cover in place... Not common but with some pickups it can happen if the cover is not attached to the pickup (often the case) and there isn't enough foam (or something else to push the pickup upwards) underneath. If that's the case it should be fine. Just open it, it'll be obvious. Get/cut some foam, put it under the pickup, mount it again, and enjoy.

If the actual polepieces fell inside... (and that implies you don't have a ceramic pickup... I am not sure what pickups are on those basses) then that's trickier...
    Are the polepieces rattling around inside? If they're just pushed in a bit, you may be able to push them back up -carefully-.

8. Taranis101

Taranis101

Sep 23, 2009
    Bellaire, MI
    No I haven't. I'm not experienced in bass electronics and I'm afraid to break something. And no, the pole pieces are still stationary inside the cover. Just fell inside a bit.

9. If your planning on replacing the pickup anyway, what's the harm in removing a few screws, and taking a look at the pickup? just dont cut or break any wires and it'll be ok.

10. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    take it to someone who knows better

11. exactly... you have the perfect opportunity to investigate a bit and if something breaks (unlikely)... nothing's lost.

Seriously, you'll be amazed how simple it is.
    Remove teh strings (usually I just loosen them and take them off the tuning pegs but leave them anchored at the bridge, fast to re-install), and undo the screws holding the bad pickup. Then lift it gently. There will be a cable coming off it so don't pull too far, but it'll be long enough for you to have a look underneath etc. It really does look like the pickup just fell inside while the cover stayed. It's a 5min job if you have some foam around to put underneath and prop up the pickup.

Nothing to lose... and you'll probably be saving yourself a pickup.

12. Taranis101

Taranis101

Sep 23, 2009
    Bellaire, MI
    Alright thanks guys. I already have to company sending me another for free so it doesnt matter anyways. Lol. Thanks for the help anyways