1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man SUB and OLP Tony Levin Which one is more "music man"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thefunkelastic, Feb 22, 2008.

1. OLP Tony Levin Sig

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Music Man S.U.B.

44 vote(s)
    88.0%
  3. Other (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    As I'm sure you all understand i have ever present gas, and as I'm getting a new job soon I'll have some extra money, one of my main inspirations for picking up bass was eric wilson of sublime, and he played a music man, I can't really afford a stingray unless I save for a while (but I'd rather not spend that much one one bass anyways) but I want that tone that he had. Which one of the two basses that i proposed captchers the music man mojo better? I really love his cutting tone (watch the video on youtube of them performing "date rape" and you'll know what I mean so which one of these comes closer to that?

thanks for the help,

2. SUB.

/thread.

3. Start saving for the real Music Man.

4. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    a SUB is a real Musicman, just a less expensive one

5. Get the SUB or start saving for a Stingray.

I've seen 4-5 real Stingrays in the classifieds over the past couple of weeks.

There are a couple on there right now for sale.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    SUBs are the real deal.

I have one and it compares favorably with my 30th Anniversary Stingray.

7. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I just got a SUB5 earlier today, and they are pretty damn cool. I've owned another SUB also, and it is a MusicMan. Just has a cheaper finish and possibly cheaper hardware (no MUSICMAN engraved on the bridge, for example). And the neck is finished with black paint and black headstock. But they honestly feel and sound like EBMM basses for the most part.

8. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    As those guys said ^^^^^ ones a real EBMM the other isn't - if it doesn't say it on the headstock - it isn't......

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

No offense meant, but it's a pretty dumb question. The S.U.B. is the only one listed that is actually made by EBMM. It's basically a Duh! question.

BTW, I used to own a S.U.B. and it's a great bass. Sounds like a MM should.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

It may be MIA, have the same electronics, same body, etc. but a SUB (the one I had anyways) doesn't to my ears sound like a SR. Don't know why, but I didn't really like my SUB4 and I can't put down my SR4.:hyper:

An OLP is just a licenced reproduction of a MM bass. A SUB IS an EB product.

11. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Ditto. I own a SUB 5 and can attest to its greatness.:cool:

12. Shep

Shep Guest

Mar 30, 2004
    The SUB was made in the San Luis Obispo factory along side the Stingrays and such. Same QC inspectors. OLP is a entry level licensed import. If you can swing it get the SUB. I own a SUB5 and it is built extremely well. I have played OLP's and they are defiantly entry level.

13. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Yeah. I actually got a chance to try a SUB and Stingray side by side today---only difference I can find is cosmetics, and the extra brightness the Stingray gets from its active alectronics (the SUB I tried was passive).

In other words---SUB=90% of a Stingray, extra bass for the money.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The SUB is definitely a music man. One of the best values. One of the biggest improvements to the sub is changing to alnico V pickups instead of the ceramic magnets. Made a huge difference for me and it sounded more like an old MM

15. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Hey what's up guys, I in fact dig Eric's style big time and have done a lot of research on his equipment. Eric recorded 40oz. to Freedom & Robbin' the Hood w/ his Fender Jazz Bass
    (Alder/RW Fretboard; Had stickers all over it) and he then switched over to a Music Man Sabre bass, the neck p/u was hard to recognize in photos b/c it seemed you couldn't see the magnet poles as much. He then recorded the self-titled album with a Custom Bass made by his friend and guitar-tech Dan McDonald. It had a Gibson Ripper/Gibson EB-0 body style (Not SG style), it had a rosewood or ebony fretboard (can't be totally positive, but the color matched one of these two woods). It had two pickups; one in the neck position which was an old Gibon EB-1 pickup in the neck position (fat reggae tone) and had a Musicman Humbucker in the middle/bridge position which he only used for the punk rock songs. The body was stained a Dark Green. By the sounds of it to my ears, Eric most definately used flat wound strings. By the way, here is a pretty good article to find info about some his equipment.

The reason I'm letting you know about this is b/c I made the same mistake thinking a Music Man Sub was going to give me his tone and it just really didn't. If you want early sublime album tone, get a Jazz. Eric used a Music Man Sabre after that in live performance, so the only place to get one of those would be on E-bay. I find that when I string my Fender P bass with flats and EQing right, I can get a very, very similar tone. Another idea would be to look at the Squier Vintage modified Telecaster bass. Eric used a similar combo on Sublime self-titled, he solo'd that neck pickup a lot to achieve that deep reggae tone he's got. Well good luck to you dude, but if you get a Music Man Stingray or Sub, you're gonna sound more like Flea in a live performance rather than Eric Wilson.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/sublimes-wrong-way/Nov-06/23908