Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man SUB or Highway 1 JBass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pirate_dan, Jul 29, 2004.

1. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    I im going to get my first bass in a few months after I make some money. My dad is paying for enough to get an Ibanez Soundgear, but those just don't seem as good as saving up to pay for the rest of a SUB or Highway 1 Jazz Bass. Those are both equally priced (within a maybe $25), and both sound awesome. I love the sound of MM's humbuckers (the reason I became intersted in bass, actually), but when I played that Jazz Bass at my local Guitar Center, I loved the sound. I also loved how light it was. So, I am confused which to buy. Advice?

2. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    u tried ibanez RD 600? it has basslines mm humbucker and jazz pickup in neck position.

3. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    Can't say I have. But I can't find any RD's past the 500 models here in America.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    But it's soo ugly :-\..

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i would get the fender. i own a MIA fender and a stingray.....and i grew to like the fender more. IMO it's easier to play, better looking, and gets a wider array of tones.

but of course you need to play both and see what you like.

6. I own a Jazz and a SUB. Two totally different animals. The Jazz gives me a fatter bottom than the sub does, but the highs on the sub are so much crisper than the those on the Jazz. It's a tradeoff. If I had to pick one, I'd probably stay with the SUB. I like the feel of it a bit more than the Jazz, even though it's a slab body. I feel like I can beat the hell out of the SUB and it'll respond with sweetness, where the Jazz feels like it'll crawl in a corner and suck its thumb. YMMV.

7. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I hate to do this, being a jazz bass nut, But the sub blows that highway 1 garbage away. The sub has a much better tone, feel, and build qualityThe finish won't even show fingerprints on the sub. The highway 1's are garbage. Period. Try out the Geddy Lee jazz, or even the aerodyne jazz. Both are much better.

8. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    Amen. Roadgears are terrible looking.

I tried both. Thats why I'm here, asking which I should get.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Highway 1s just American Standards with a different bridge? Thats what the guy at Guitar Center said.

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Highway 1 may say Made in USA, but it is not the same as an American standard. Here are the differences;

The Highway1 does not have a graphite reinforced neck-the USA standard does.

The Highway 1 uses a vintage style bridge(found on the MIM Pbass deluxe) The USA has a string thru body design.

The highway 1's tuners seem to be the same cheap type found on the MIM basses. The USA has better tuners.

The Highway 1's neck is like that on a MIM bass-truss rod adjustment is at headstock. The USA has it at the body(as do Musicman style basses)

FWIW-I played a Highway 1 Jazz shortly after they came out. It didn't sound, or feel good to me. The MIM standards actually felt better to me. The highway 1 seemed quite a bit heavier than most jazzes I've played recently.

I would probably go with the SUB if I had this choice.

10. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    Well then.

Based on everyone here, it seems as though I'll be getting a SUB.
    Does anyone know where I can get a pickguard that isn't that standard diamond plate or whatever? The textured finishes annoy me a bit (yeah, they don't scratch, they don't stain; I just don't like em), but the pickguards drive me nuts.
    Also, how much to active SUBs run for? I haven't seen any here or in Utah when I went there a few weeks ago.

11. I bought a standard 3 ply white pickguard direct from Ernie Ball for $20. I got my active SUB last year for $550 with a Rockbag thrown in for good measure.

12. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    Where do you live? Passives are over $600 here.

Also, is there a cavity behind the SUB's pickguard? I was thinking about getting a clear pickguard. Those might look weird with an empty space and a wire behind it.

13. I think there is a site called pickguards.com, im guessing a stingray pickguard will fit on a Sub...have a look there

14. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    Thats where I was going to get my clear pickgaurd if I was going to get one. The other day, me and my friend were laughing at whoever would get certain designs (mainly the American kids who get British flags on everything, including pickguards, and same with the Jolly Rogers too.

15. I live in Los Angeles. I wheeled and dealed with an online retailer out of Texas, that's how I got such a rockbottom price. The gigbag was just icing. SUB's don't come with a case or bag.

There isn't any routing under the PG, so a clear one will work just fine. One thing about pickguards.com, I feel that they charge entirely too much. A clear Stingray PG will set you back almost $50! They charge close to $30 for a standard white one! EB, man. $25 shipped IIRC.

16. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    Okay man. Thanks a lot.

By the way, what site was this? Even if they don't have the prices now, they might when I get my money(months from now).

17. ch3ck3rs

ch3ck3rs

Feb 8, 2004
    mine certainly isnt garbage. i have actually owned BOTH of those basses, the s.u.b. and the highway1, and would take the fender any day of the week. i actually traded the s.u.b. for the hwy1. there are many more tones and sounds available in the jazz. the s.u.b. is very good at what it does, which is a stingray tone, but that's all it does.

id get the highway1, but play it first. you can get a "garbage" fender no matter what series or model, you just have to play before you buy. it all depends on who set up the bass, which shop, and fender's hit-or-miss quality control.

18. pirate_dan

pirate_dan

Jul 29, 2004
    I'll keep that in mind.

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Pirate Dan,
    You have PM regarding a maker of custom pickguards that I've dealt with 3 times now. (totally satisfied and very in-expensive at the same time.)
    -Bazz-

20. bazz, you have PM.

And not to totally hijack this thread, but how do you like the basslines? It comes with entirely new electronics, right? I've been playing with the idea of replacing the pickup on my SUB, but I'm not sure which one I want. I'm actually leaning real heavily towards the Nordstrand MM's, whenever they're released which is supposed to be RSN. I've read nothing but good things about Carey's pickups.