1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man SUB USA Passive Wiring

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SkuzzyRalf, Apr 23, 2020.

1. SkuzzyRalf

SkuzzyRalf

Nov 21, 2019
    I recently got a Music Man Passive USA sub and it sounds really nice, however one of the knobs was not affecting the tone. I opened the cavity and saw one of the pots was not wired into the circuit at all, just had a capacitor on it.
    I just wanted to clarify, is that is what its supposed to be like? or if it was a modification or factory mistake?
    I was under the impression this passive version had a volume, bass cut, treb cut.
    I already message their customer support but im hoping i might get some quicker responses here.

Anybody with an unmodified passive setup want to send a picture?

Or just anybody with any information really...

haha thanks in advance.

2. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Sounds like somebody rewired it, taking one of the pots (I assume the bass cut) out of the equation. I have a US SUB Sterling, but they're all active, so I can't help you with the control wiring photo situation.

3. SkuzzyRalf

SkuzzyRalf

Nov 21, 2019
    Ya I figured as much.
    And it’s actually the treb cut that’s not there. (But I won’t tell;)

They seller tried to tell me this passive model kept the same knobs and pick guard but they just skip wiring one of the knobs so it’s just a volume and a tone and then a pointless knob....

I was like I’m not expert but considering it’s not even a stock pickguard, I’m almost certain that’s incorrect.

Who sells a bass with a nonsense knob?

But ya thank you for reassuring me. Hopefully somebody will send a pic so I can get it wired back up.

4. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Pickguard? Didn't they only make SUB Stingrays and Sterlings? The only MM basses I can think of with controls mounted on a pickguard are Stingray 5s and Big Als. I've never personally seen a passive SUB Stingray, I may very well be wrong and the seller may very well be telling the truth.

5. SkuzzyRalf

SkuzzyRalf

Nov 21, 2019
    Idk what your asking but ya this bass has a pickguard.
    The USA subs had that metal looking pickguard. Look like a sheet of industrial aluminum or somthin. Think they came in black too.
    But this one has a pearloid.
    And the controls aren’t on the pickguard. But the pickguard was changed, I was inquiring to see if the knobs were as well.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Technically, there were no SUB Stingrays, there just the SUB and SUB 5. There was, however, a SUB Sterling. The passive has bass and treble passive roll off. They are good sounding basses.

eff-clef, dralionux and Thegrandwazoo like this.
  7. SkuzzyRalf

SkuzzyRalf

Nov 21, 2019
    Ya that is exactly what I thought. Thank you
    Any chance you got a picture of how to wire it up?

8. SkuzzyRalf

SkuzzyRalf

Nov 21, 2019
    image.jpg

eff-clef likes this.
  9. SkuzzyRalf

SkuzzyRalf

Nov 21, 2019
    This is what I’m talking about so there’s no confusion.
    It’s not a sterling. But it is a sub. And made in USA.
    And it’s passive, so I’m on the hunt for a picture of a passive setup or wiring diagram.

10. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Oh, I see. I assumed since the SUB Sterlings had a name, the SUB not-Stingrays did, too, haha!

Bassdirty likes this.
  11. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Have you asked on the Ernie Ball forum? They'll be able to help you out immediately.

HG1180 likes this.
  12. SkuzzyRalf

SkuzzyRalf

Nov 21, 2019
    I could find out how to post a thread....
    I’m embarrassed...

I signed up but couldn’t figure it out so I came here.

I Found a few threads talking about same thing but never found the diagram.
    I emailed customer support though so hopefully they will be able to help.

I’ll go fiddle with the ebmm forums against tho.

13. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    hang on, i will go get mine and take a pic in a couple of hours.

edit: EBMM SUB passive
    EBMM-SUB-passive.JPG
    View attachment 3800401

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    mindwell and B-Mac like this.
  14. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    not a PHOTO but a diagram. Mine had a bad middle pot so I redid the whole thing. For grins I used PIO caps. It sounds awesome. One of them is large. So, if you don't buy into that voodoo you're probably doing yourself a favor.

Attached Files:

15. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    You need to go to the SUB Club,and you can get the right information. The SUB you have is made in US,and assembled here in US,on same place as the Stingray's. Were manufactured 2003-2006.

Arson-o likes this.
  16. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

@JakobT seems to be well versed with the subject matter. Hopefully he can help.

17. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Posting some pictures of the problem pot would be helpful

18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    You’re too kind - quite literally, I’m afraid. Electronics are a closed book to me. However, Musicman customer service will know, and they’re usually helpful enough to provide a wiring diagram as well.

B-Mac likes this.
  19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    we've got a pic and a diagram right here in this thread :cool: may need a parts source now...

dralionux likes this.
  20. MusicMan helped me a lot when I fried the pre-amp in my Sub Sterling about 5 years ago. I installed the 9 volt backwards. You can do that in the battery boxes on the US SUB basses beware!

They sold me a new Pre-amp board for $75. I installed it myself. It works great.

dralionux likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021