1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man SUB vs Squier CV Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gmtx725, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gmtx725

gmtx725

Jan 9, 2012
    OK, let me start off by saying I'm a novice bassist- I've never played before. I've been fishing around for advice on what to buy for my first bass for a while, and after some input from friends and online message boards, two leading candidates emerged:

1. Brand new Squier CV Precision Bass, £319 over here in the UK which is within my budget. I'm quite keen on the look of this, especially the lake placid blue colour (not that that counts for much but if you don't know anything about basses what better way to pick one than how it looks?)

2. A second hand Music Man SUB. I know someone selling one for £400, which I'm told is good value. Furthermore, I've been told SUBs are insanely good value for money and are some of the best basses available at the lower end of the price range. It's a little over budget for me, but I can still afford it. I think it looks nice as well, although not quite as nice as the Squier.

Guys, a simple question, which one should I go for?

2. Any chance you could try them out, both physically and sonically they are two very different kinds of bass guitars?

3. gmtx725

gmtx725

Jan 9, 2012
    "Any chance you could try them out, both physically and sonically they are two very different kinds of bass guitars? "

I can probably try out the Squier at my local music shop, but the guy who's selling the SUB lives on the other side of the country from me, so most likely not. To be honest, as a complete newbie, I'm not sure I'd really be qualified to judge them anyway if I did try them out- all I'd be doing would be awkwardly twanging the strings and looking incompetent!

4. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    If it were me, I would go for the Sub.

5. gmtx725

gmtx725

Jan 9, 2012
    "If it were me, I would go for the Sub. "

Any particular reasons why? Or just gut instinct?

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would go S.U.B. Its basically a two band Ray, Made in USA, plays great, sounds great, easy choice in my book.

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    SUB

8. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    SUB by far.

9. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    So the first thing I would do is hear the tones of each. Both are popular basses, and so I am sure you could hear the tone differences in a decent youtube video (although I wouldn't recommend making a full choice off of them). They sound totally different, so you make like the precision tone and find the SUB's tone to be too whatever (or vice versa). I personally own a SUB, and it is an awesome bass and I would definitely recommend it. But most people are either a love/hate relationship with MM's, so just be sure your in the love category before you choose.

Edit: BTW, SUBs are discontinued. So they are kind of unique in that way, if that is appealing at all.

10. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Sub has a better resale value too if you don't like it or playing bass.

11. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I personally love MM basses, but it's true, they're not for everyone. What type of music are you into?

12. gmtx725

gmtx725

Jan 9, 2012
    "I personally love MM basses, but it's true, they're not for everyone. What type of music are you into?"

I'm generally into indie/alternative music, stuff like postpunk, krautrock, alternative dance etc etc. Don't know if that's any help. I'm quite into high melodic basslines, but I also like a rough abrasive growl at the lower end (if that makes any sense).

13. SUB. Great bass. Plus, since you buy it used, you could most likely sell it for the same price you bought it when/if you want to one day...

14. king rew

king rew

Feb 18, 2009
    Maine
    Musicman basses are for everyone :) .I vote the SUB, if you find that you don't like it, you shouldn't have trouble finding a buyer who will take it off your hands. as said, it is a very high quality instrument. All this, assuming it is in good shape, of course.

15. SUBs are very nice but a lot of alt rock bass sounds are done with Precisions. Hence it's good to know the output from each bass. But then again in true alt music you should be allowed to use any kind of bass.

16. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The SUB would be my choice but the precision is great as well. I can coax more tones from the sub than I can from the precision. I own several of each bass for what it's worth.

17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Buy the Sub, if you absolutely hate it you can most likely get back what you paid for it.

18. gmtx725

gmtx725

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys, the SUB seems to be getting a lot of support at the moment, so I'm starting to lean more that way now after initially favouring the Squier. Like several people have said, if I absolutely hate it (unlikely) I can always recoup most of what I paid for it and go for the Squier afterwards.

Also, it's in pretty good condition, have seen some photos of it and it looks snazzy, owner says there's a little bit of wear on the top of the headstock but I can live with that. Oh, and apparently it's the variety of the SUB with active pickups :)

One more question though, I'm probably going to be playing with a pick quite often, as I like a clearer tone with a sharp attack. Would either bass be more suited than the other to that kind of tone.

19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Either would work great when using a pick. If you get the S.U.B the controls for your bass/treble boost/cut have no center detent, so if it sounds to boomy or brittle with all the knobs dimed, back off about a quarter turn and it will sound great.

20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Without question.