Music Man SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TAKEUPARMS, Dec 31, 2005.

Nov 9, 2005
    is the musicman sub pretty good? I tried one at guitar center but i couldn't try it out with an amp. any opinions?
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I had one when I first started out, their fine, but you have to take them for what they are, they're not a Stingray,but I liked it for the price.
  3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I like em, but it's not a true stingray, so everytime I play one I feel like it's missing something, which is why when I get one later on this year, I'm going to give it a Seymour Duncan overhaul with a SD stingray 3 band EQ and SD alnico pickups ($700 total for bass and electronics is a pretty good deal IMO)

4. alot of people say you can get a nice stingray sound outta them but i couldnt, i had a SUB and ran it through mesa and couldnt get a sound i liked or to sound like a stingray. but when i returned it and ungraded to a stingray i was in love, played nicer, sounded nicer, felt nicer, didnt have a painted neck, just all around nicer basses i think and you can save an extra 200 or so and get a nice used one, which i think is well worth it

but hey what do i know, haha
  5. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've got one, and use it as a back-up, a role it nicely serves.

My observation has been the "real" Stingrays are a significant move up in construction, tone and feel. A SUB is a nice step up from an entry level bass, but there are other options to consider first: used Stingray, used Lakland 44-01 or 44-02 Skyline, used Fender Jazz or Precision.

The SUB excels at being the bass to use in either outdoor gigs in crappy weather, or for use anywhere where you think an instrument could get dinged. Very reliable bass, just ugly.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I seem to like these more than most people.

1) I like my Stingrays with a 2 band preamp. Naturally the SUB is a natural backup for me. Same chunky neck, same electronics, etc. The only thing I feel is lacking is the finish, which I understand why they use.

It's a solidly built bass with a Stingray feel. Back in my Stingray days, I bought mine for $700 out the door with case. I almost bought a SUB only I couldn't justify spending $699 on a lesser bass, without case.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's a Music Man. It's good :)

But look into getting a used Ray as somebody suggested.