1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man Sub5 Bass: Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phanta, Apr 15, 2010.

1. phanta

phanta

Sep 17, 2009
    Australia
    Hello there,

I am looking at buying a Music Man SUB 5-string bass. The owner lives in my area so obviously I am going to go give it a play before I go and buy it but I wanted to see if you guys thought it was worth the dough.

This is the link : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Music-Man-Sub5-5-srting-active-bass-like-stingray_W0QQitemZ230460827202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item35a8892642

I am starting a punkish band with bluesy bass lines and want to know if this bass will be good enough to take up on stage with me.

2. It'll be fine. I almost bought one a long time ago. 9 months after ordering, the stupid thing still hadn't come in, so I bought something else. Next time I went into the store, it was hanging on the wall. The whole thing kinda put me off, so I haven't looked at a Music Man since. That doesn't meant they're not nice basses, though.

3. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    What is the conversion from US to AUS?
    As far as the bass being good enough to take on stage? HELL YES. This is a bass you may want to keep your whole life!

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Roadkill's story has nothing to do with your question. They are nice basses and were a great deal, but I've seen the price on them start to creep up.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I like the new Sterling by MusicMan basses a lot more than the old SUBS. The SUBS always felt kinda fake in my hands (as if it were a plastic bass) whereas the Sterlings by MM feel "real".

6. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I like the Sub, but I prefer a sterling or ray....

But u cant go wrong with any Musicman

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In some ways, the SUB is closer to those new and expensive Classic series basses than anything else. I say this because both have uncontoured bodies and two band preamps.

8. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'm digging my SUB. If the price is right go for it.

9. Go for it.

10. When I ordered mine, the preamp was a definite factor in my decision. I'd say that that linked SUB wouldn't be a bad choice at all for either stage or studio.

11. phanta

phanta

Sep 17, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks everyone

I'll definitely go have a look at it.

:)

12. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    S.U.B,s are go,well worth it,bullet proof build and love the stage.
    Get one while you can.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You've got nothing to lose by going there and giving it a test run. If you don't like the bass then you didn't lose anything other than some of your time. If you like it then you might be coming home with a new bass.

I would talk to the owner and see if it's okay to bring your amp with you though this way you know exactly what it's going to sound like.

14. ekb16b

ekb16b

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    Mate thats a great price, subs are severely underrated basses. Alot of people dislike them due to their appearance but keep in mind that they were made in the US with genuine US pups and preamps plus their finish is basically indestructible. They were discontinued as ebmm were losing money while producing them.

15. Do it, I used to own one, bullet proof (heavy too) and awesome tone, very solid B string

16. phanta

phanta

Sep 17, 2009
    Australia
    Went and tried out the Music Man and I thought it was a bit dodgy, which sucked cause I really wanted to fall in love with it and did not.

I did however fall in love with a Fender Jaguar later that day and am definitely going to get one :bassist: :D

17. Got my S.U.B. on Saturday, love it though it is heavy.

18. I've got one, I like it a lot. You can get a really crunchy fat tone out of it, it's great for loads of styles of music and playing.

19. Hm. From a Music Man to a Jaguar. Clearly you love the active 'zing.' :bassist:

How was the SUB dodgy? The one I tried a long time ago seemed pretty good for a budget bass, weight notwithstanding...

20. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    I called Musicman and asked why they discontinued the SUBs. They said that they cost the same as making the expensive basses that they make in the same factory. THe SUB osunds better in some ways than my SR5. It is the ****. It is pretty much the same as their new classics.