music man suitable for jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dardoo, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Dardoo

Apr 2, 2004
    :help: Hi felas

I'm a jazz orineted bassplayer.I want to buy a new bass.Is a musicman ernieball suitable for jazz.I've never played with that strument but I know it has a special sound.please help me.thanks alot

Dara Daraee
  2. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    yeah can do,

ive used it on a jazz gig before. bass, sax and guitar. but you have to turn down the treble a tad.
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think it would be a good choice. I have seen jazz played on a variety of basses and it seems to have more to do with the player than the instrument (most of the time).

Let us know how it works out. - Dan
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, fine for jazz, though you might want to try to EQ it a bit differently than for rock, and you might even want to try some flatwound strings such as TI flats, which will get you a whole different vibe.
  5. You can use a MM to play jazz. You can use a Jazz bass to play Rock. You can use a RockBass to play Country. You can use a Hofner to play Rolling Stones songs. You can use a Precision bass to play music that isn't very precise. You don't have to play with your thumb when you play a Thumb. You can play a Corvette even if you don't drive a Corvette. You can play a Parker Fly even if you don't like flies.
  6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    You'd better contact Ernie Ball directly and ask them if its OK to play jazz on one of their basses. You might have to sign a waiver.
  7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    :D :D :D
  8. i would say the MM EB bongo would be the best choice, as it has a full EQ onboard as well as two pickups, much more versatility than the other MMs i believe.
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I like the sound of a precision bass best if Im playing jazz on electric bass. I think a musicman would be fine for jazz but they are very aggressive sounding IMO. If you like the edgy sound then go for it! I think a better all purpose bass would be a nice fender p bass though.
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    S'okay. I think Sade's bass player uses one and he sounds smoove.
  11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You could always get an upright...
  12. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Stingrays are very versitile instruments and yes I would use mine if I were playing Jazz and have done some recording with mine playing a song that would likely be called "fusion". You might want to look into getting a Ray with piezo pickup b/c those are supposed to get that acoustic sound and maybe you could get upright tones at times if you need. Hope this helps a bit more that some of the middle schoolers posting above. Good luck.