Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man thumb anchoring.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ultramangeos, Apr 17, 2002.

1. I am in the process of trying to decide between upgrading to an American Fender Jazz, and a Music Man Stingray.
    The question is: I am kind of a new bass player, and I find that when I am playing my MIM Jazz, I anchor my thumb on the neck pickup, and my fingers play between the pickups.
    When I play a Stingray at the music store, I find it odd to be anchoring my thumb so far towards the bridge on the single pickup.
    Playing so far back on the string gives the strings a stiff feel. I some times do that intentionaly on my Jazz for a different sound.
    Are MM players anchoring somewhere else?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I anchor all over, depending on the sound I want. Side of fretboard, edge of pickguard, pickup - whatever.

3. Or just don't anchor it.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sterling is the way to go! :)

I have no problems anchoring my thumb on the bridge pup of my Sterling, and this is coming from someone who used to anchor their thumb on the p pup on a p/j style bass, as well as p basses.

It takes maybe an hour or two to get used to. (for me, at least)

Good luck.

5. I actually prefer how you anchor on the MM pickup. It's more of a positive tactile feel, because your finger is positively located between the two p/u screw bungs.

It's all good.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, the tension isn't very strong at all. I find right between the two screws is the optimal position to play. I originally thought I might be more comfortable a little higher up, toward where a p pup would be. I actually found it much easier and better sounding to play between the two screws. :)

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    or you could get a 5-string and just use that 5th string for the sole purpose of resting your finger on it :) just kidding. i do infact have a ray 5 and i usually rest my thumb on the 5th string right over the pup. but I find my self using the floating thumb technique also.

8. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    get the jazz!!!:))
    how long have you been playing?

9. On the pickup, between the screws as others have said. At least while playing the E and A strings (4-string). I can't remember if it was an awkward position for me at first or not. Also once in a while I might move from between the screws to the front (neck) corner for a slight tone/feel change.

10. ---------------------------------------------
    get the jazz!!! How long have you been playing?
    ---------------------------------------------

Just about 9 months. Now there is nothing wrong with my MIM Jazz. I am just thinking about the next level when I think I am ready.
    I probably just need to get out of the habit of depending on the pup as an anchoring point. :cool:

11. I say put your fingers where the sound is, then try and make it comfortable.