Music Man thumb anchoring.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ultramangeos, Apr 17, 2002.

1. I am in the process of trying to decide between upgrading to an American Fender Jazz, and a Music Man Stingray.
    The question is: I am kind of a new bass player, and I find that when I am playing my MIM Jazz, I anchor my thumb on the neck pickup, and my fingers play between the pickups.
    When I play a Stingray at the music store, I find it odd to be anchoring my thumb so far towards the bridge on the single pickup.
    Playing so far back on the string gives the strings a stiff feel. I some times do that intentionaly on my Jazz for a different sound.
    Are MM players anchoring somewhere else?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I anchor all over, depending on the sound I want. Side of fretboard, edge of pickguard, pickup - whatever.
  3. Or just don't anchor it.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sterling is the way to go! :)

I have no problems anchoring my thumb on the bridge pup of my Sterling, and this is coming from someone who used to anchor their thumb on the p pup on a p/j style bass, as well as p basses.

It takes maybe an hour or two to get used to. (for me, at least)

Good luck.
  5. I actually prefer how you anchor on the MM pickup. It's more of a positive tactile feel, because your finger is positively located between the two p/u screw bungs.

It's all good.
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, the tension isn't very strong at all. I find right between the two screws is the optimal position to play. I originally thought I might be more comfortable a little higher up, toward where a p pup would be. I actually found it much easier and better sounding to play between the two screws. :)
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    or you could get a 5-string and just use that 5th string for the sole purpose of resting your finger on it :) just kidding. i do infact have a ray 5 and i usually rest my thumb on the 5th string right over the pup. but I find my self using the floating thumb technique also.
  8. Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    get the jazz!!!:))
    how long have you been playing?
  9. On the pickup, between the screws as others have said. At least while playing the E and A strings (4-string). I can't remember if it was an awkward position for me at first or not. Also once in a while I might move from between the screws to the front (neck) corner for a slight tone/feel change.
  10. ---------------------------------------------
    get the jazz!!! How long have you been playing?

Just about 9 months. Now there is nothing wrong with my MIM Jazz. I am just thinking about the next level when I think I am ready.
    I probably just need to get out of the habit of depending on the pup as an anchoring point. :cool:
  11. I say put your fingers where the sound is, then try and make it comfortable.