Music Man Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boardingpyro, Jan 23, 2005.

1. boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    I bought a Ernie Ball musicman sub (no active eq) about 3 months ago, and just got a new head (behringer 300 watt) and I was having trouble finding the tone I wanted. So I decided to try out my old bass that I havn't played in a long time (a yamaha RBX170) and I got the tone I was looking for very easily. I was wondering if anyone else here has a music man sub and if they found a tone they really like because I just cant find the tone I like with it. I don't know if its the pickups or what. :confused:
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    maybe you just dont like the musicman sound. its not for everyone. did you play the sub in a store before you bought it?
  3. boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    Yeah I did... I shouldv'e played longer. The thing that really convinced me to buy it was its 299 price tag right next to the 699 price tag on the same exact bass next to it. I also didn't really get to play with the tone much in a crowded guitar center, and it was way nicer than the other basses in the 300 range. It was only 299 because they couldn't sell the red color.
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Any $299er is never the same as a $699er. It's like what physics teaches us - There's no such thing as a free lunch.
  5. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    In this case, you're wrong.

There really were a lot of S.U.B.s recently blown out due to ugly colors. Otherwise identical instruments were up on the wall for $699.99 w/MSRP of $999.99.

Lots of people bagged them at Guitar Centers around the country.

Beyond that point, however, this is just another meaningless tone discussion.
  6. rowyco

Sep 24, 2004
    Traverse City, MI
    If you're interested in selling it, let me know.
  7. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    The MM tone is an animal all it's own. I've been playing them for 3 years now, and done lot's of experiments with amps, preamps, strings,etc.. The best thing to do to get more tone variation is to get an amp or preamp with a variable midrange control.I've been using a Pearce BC-1 for about 6 months now, and I can get a nice thick,punchy fingerstyle tone, and a really agressive Geddy Lee, Chris Squire tone,with the same bass.I play a MM Sterling with a Basslines Alnico pickup, and DR Hibeam Strings. Sansamp has the RPM preamp that has a variable mid,and SWR has several amps that have semiparametric eq's that you can control the center frequency of all 4 eq bands. Give some of these ideas a try and let me know what you come up with. Hope it helps.
  8. Now he could have been comparing a Passive SUB to an Active SUB which would also make the price difference sound more realistic as well.
  9. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The cheapest price on this Guitar Center ugly-S.U.B. blowout that I personally know of was US$279.99 for an active four-string.

I intentionally paid more for a passive, myself.
  10. boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    Mines passive the other passive ones there that were black were 699 mine was a flat red so it was 299, and I could also tell it had been sitting there for a while because of the dust between the frets. Thanks 73jbass for the suggestions I might try to find one of those old boss pedals that is a parametric eq and play with it.
  11. Spend another $200 or so, buy yourself a Sadowsky outboard pre-amp/DI box. You will use this thing in more applications than you can shake a stick at. It will fill out the scratchy tone of your SUB nicely and you will be well pleased and you can thank me later. :D

It'll even make your Yamaha sound nicer, too.