Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man type humbucker question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Dec 19, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    TBers. Do you think a passive MM type humbucker, wired in series and mounted in the bridge position (not the MM sweet spot) would put out enough lows, mids and highs to be a functional "1 pickup" bass? Bass is swamp ash, maple neck bolt on. Your advice is GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

2. Disclaimer: I know just little of basses, but a lot of guitars.

My answer would be: NO. The location of the pickup is essential. More to the neck means more lows, a fuller and mellower tone. More towards the bridge means more highs and more bite.

An ideal 1-pickup bass has a good mixture of low/mellow versus high/bite. The Precision location is one example, the MM location (a bit more towards the bridge) is another one. If you choose a pickup location that is even more towards the bridge, you'll have less bass and more 'bite'. If this is what you want, then do it! Yet, it would not be my choice......But as always, YMMMV.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Also remember that the "real" musicman humbucker really has THREE coils, one under the other two, and most knockoffs do not. It is crucial to the tone, IMO.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Actually, only the Sterling and Sterling 5... I mean Stingray 5 have the dummy coil. It is only used for hum cancelling when in single coil mode. Since the Stingray is hardwired in parallel even if the dummy was there it wouldn't come into play.

5. I think it could work- I've played an early Wal Pro passive bass that had just one humbucker close to the bridge.

also consider Dan Glenn's J-type modulus with just the one J at the bridge.

I have a Kent armstrong MM in the stingray spot in my Dearmond Jetstar special- in series mode it has lots of lows and mids- if the pickup was closer to the bridge it could still have a workable tone.

but the closest i'd move it to the bridge would be where the bridge-most coil would be in the same spot as the bridge p/up on a J bass.

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "but the closest i'd move it to the bridge would be where the bridge-most coil would be in the same spot as the bridge p/up on a J bass."

yep...that's pretty much exactly where it will be located.
    Thanks, Turtle (and everyone of course).
    -Bazz-