Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music man vs. warwick vs. dp custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Musicman Sterling

30 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Warwick fortess masterman

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. DP Custom

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. i'm GASing for a new bass and i'm trying to decide between a musicman sterling, a warwick fortress masterman and a dp custom....what do you guys recommend?

2. Streling. I'm just a Thumb guy when it comes to Warwicks.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Musicman sterling is the only thing I've had much experience with of the 3.. And that was a stingray 5.. which really is the sterling with 5 strings.. And I must say.. its a great bass.. Warwicks just don't do anything for me.. they are great basses and sound good too.. but they aren't for me.. I've never played a DP custom.. but there are several people here who have..

so my vote of course goes for the sterling..

4. I've never played a MusicMan or a Warwick fortress masterman, but my DP has been great.
    think about what you want, bolt on, or neck thru. If you order a DP your going to have to wait a while. Think about the sound your looking for and the finish. DP will only do natural wood finishes, also with a hand crafted instrument you're going to have some flaws. usually nothing that will effect the playablillity or tone. on my DP there is a couple places where I could see some glue, and a few spots where he couldn't completely sand all the way.
    if little things like that don't bother you, I say go for the DP, you can try to make it so it sounds like the other basses if you want to. just do your homework on woods and pickup configuration, and you could have a bass that is sweet!

heres mine (below), I think it sounds kinda like a mix between a Jazz bass and a MusicMan. I can almost get it to sound like a P bass if I solo the neck pup, and put it in passive mode.

5. here's my inpersonation of a MusicMan on my DP.

6. here is a Dm scale played in 2 octaves, with both pickups humbucking. you can hear it has some nice growl, you can get even more growl when you switch it to single coils.

you'll need to unzip these with winzip BTW.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never played a DP Custom, so I can't comment.

I've only played one Warwick that I liked out of about 20 or 30 that I've tried.

Sterlings are great basses. MusicMan's play great, feel great. I'd go for the Sterling.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Apples vs. oranges vs. banannas.

But I'd take the Sterling!

10. Yep.

I've played all three. I'd definitely go for a Sterling with the Warwick a close second, if you're into the Warwick sound and feel.

Bottom line, get what you want - you'll practice more!

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    you don't know how true that statement is.

12. thanks for the feedback guys rightnow i'm leaning toward the dp mainly cause i don't want to have to hot rod my new bass like i do all the ones i currently have

13. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    I just had a strealing. It was a great bass, but when i play my warwick proline/fna custom 5 string mix the sterling has been in its case ever since

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i, too, used to have a sterling.

but i don't anymore. instead i have two beastly warwicks and couldn't be happier.

that said, i'd look at a g&l as well. they're a great value used, and IMO sound and play much better than a musicman. (especially with that #6 neck...ooh baby)

15. I have both a Stingray 5 and a Warwick Corvette Proline 5 string. They're hard to compare. The Stingray is like a super-P-Bass, and the Warwick is like a super-Jazz-Bass. I think the Fortress Masterman would sound kind of like a Sterling in parallel.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Apples vs. oranges vs. banannas."

Yep, meaningless comparison. A custom bass is very much the result of what the client specifies and how the luthier executes it.

Your other choices are mass production basses made by hourly employees who just do specific jobs with whatever materials they are given and watch the time clock....(with the exception of custom Warwicks).

A Musicman is made by gerbils who just want to make sure they get their lunch hour.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've never played a DP and unless we're talking Precision, I'm a 2 pickup guy, so the Music Man is out, despite the great tone.

Chump Stain, could you post a pic of your DP and/or talk a bit about its specs? I like what I hear.:)

18. Blackbird,

I did a review some time ago, if you search my posts, or "lean mean DP custom Zebra machine" you should find it.

here are the specs;
    5 string
    35" scale
    no inlays (side markers only)
    black schaller M4 tuners
    black schaller wide spaced bridge
    dunlop straplocks
    bartolini quad coil pickups
    neck pup # 1 config.(P-bass,humbucking, rev. P)
    bridge pup # 6 config.(series, lower coils, parellel)
    2 band bartolini NTMB EQ preamp
    5 piece neck (maple/thin walnut/maple/ thin walnut/maple)
    dual carbon fiber reiforcement rods
    Pau Ferro fretboard 24 frets
    standard body, full zebrawood top over ash
    standard headstock
    zebrawood overlay on headstock
    tung oil finish

I'm really happy with the tone, I think it's a combination of the wood and pickups. I've been able to get lots of cool sounds out of it, but have mainly stuck with one setting. my favorite setting is; neck pup - humbucking, bridge pup - parellel, with the blend at center, and the bass boosted about 3/4 full blast.

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Now, Rick - that's a little harsh, isn't it? My Sterling was made very nicely. Are Martin and Taylor guitars made by gerbils, too?

20. There are a bunch of new "luthiers" around now. Many look very promising. Some do not. It almost seems that someone can buy a bandsaw, router and sander and decide to "become a luthier" instead of turning pens and knife handles in their spare time.

There are certainly enough examples of poor quality in both the "hand made" and the mass produced markets to warrant proceeding with caution.

At least with a Musicman or Warwick you can try before you buy. If they don't float your boat, I think it's wise to thoroughly consider how well your expectations can be executed by the brand you choose.