Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliffburton66, Oct 1, 2004.

1. How do you guys feel about music man basses? i've been cosidering getting one, but don't know if there dependable.any info you guys have would be great. thanks.
  2. First off...SEARCH. Tons of info on MM basses.

Second: Great basses, IMO you can't go wrong.
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Like all of the guitars and basses Leo Fender designed they have attained a reputation for being tough as nails, outstanding sounding and playing tone machine type basses. They're also well worth the money and are considered to be one of the best mass production basses available by a lot of people.
  4. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    any bass would be better than the turser you got IMO. so, you have been playing for only one year?... hmmm. you don't use a pick do you? (pick=bad) (IMO...)
  5. I only have one bass. It's a Stingray.

I only need one bass, because it's a Stingray.
  6. MusicMan basses are probably the best bass you can buy for what they cost. Even if you get a SUB they are great as well & their customer service is excellent. It's excellent for dialing in the tone you want just by turning the EQ knobs on it. This is especially helpful when you use another bass that isn't as easy to dial in & you rely on the amps EQ. :bassist:
  7. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England

Customer Service is fantastic. They even posted my free strings for registering the product to the UK after I complained I hadn't received them.
  8. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    IMO if you play faster than 120 BPM then picks are way better
  9. What would it matter if he played with a pick or not? Music Man basses are versatile enough to have it not matter, you can get killer tones from using fingers or pick.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends what you are playing at 120bpm... quarters?16ths? 32nds?

And i wouldnt really agree with that statement either way.
  11. PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Music Man basses are great sounding, as mentioned in previous posts they are built well and are known as really great basses. I have a Sting Ray 5 that I play through an SWR head and the sound is great. I'm not sure how the Bongo sounds but I hear that they are really versitile as far as tone and playability.
  12. Stingray on steroids.
  13. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    it is just my opinion but i have always made my style of playing (except for slapping and popping and double thumping and what not) like an upright. and i have yet to see someone play upright with a pick. bass is a bass. it is not a guitar. no matter how many strings on it. playing with a pick is like cheating on a bass. i didn't want to bring this up but Jaco didn't play with a pick... lol. claypool, no pick. Wooten, Graham, stanley, Bailey (steve and victor), miller. all no picks. And also i know how much sh*t people get from playing with picks. i know hella people that do and i and many others hassle them about it all the time. just trying to protect him from going to the dark side. IMO

on a side note.... music man basses are extremely nice (something i forget to say in my previous post)
  14. But the thing is, it's a bass GUITAR. Keyword being: GUITAR. And seriously, you think there aren't awesome players who use picks? Lets see...Flea, Sam Rivers, Joe Escalante, Matt Freeman. If you think they suck, then you should redefine your definition of awesome.
  15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It's better than that. I played my brand-new, white Bongo piezo H/H last night for the first time. Oh My God! The "Stingray on steroids" doesn't even come close to describing the sonic nirvana of the Bongo.
  16. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i have heard freeman solo in like two songs. flea's "good" songs were played with fingers also. rivers also plays with fingers and an occasional pick. Joe Escalante? don't even get me started on the Vandals
  17. Go crawling back to your upright...
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Who said soloing is everything? Ever heard Justin Chancellor play? Hes amazing, and he uses a pick.
  19. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    This same ole pick vs. fingers debate. I say use whatever the hell you want to use and play whatever bass you want and tell everyone else to shut da hell up. Musicman makes some great basses, so you can't go wrong there.
  20. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    well generally if you play over that speed you're going to do a variety of things, quarters and 16ths and all that. i dont know about you but i just play way way better with a pick when i have to pluck quickly. i do however like the warm sound of fingers when i'm playing something slow and smooth.