Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Men

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Dumb question: but any question, dumb or not, is a fair question :D
    What's the difference between the Music Man Sterling and the Music Man StringRay? The one thing I've noticed (without playing either) is that the StingRay is fatter in size.

2. Fatter in sound too! IMHO

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nah.

I had a chance to A/B a Sterling and a Stingray.

The Sterling comes standard with the 3 band EQ, and the Stingray had the same as an option. Both were rosewood and paint. Both had brand-new batteries.

I couldn't tell the difference without looking when my friend played them from across the room. I don't remember what position the pickup was in on the Sterling.

If you like J necks, get a Sterling. If you like P necks, get a Stingray. Simple.

Of course, YMMV, and all bets are off if you're talking about a vintage 'Ray.

4. YMMV? :confused:

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Your Mileage May Vary...

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you spend any significant amount of time with either (as in owning them), you will come to notice the difference. The Ray's are significantly ballsier, IMO.

7. The Sterling has a three way coil splitter switch that the 4 string Stingray does not have. It lets you run the pickup coils in series, parallel, or single coil. The Sterling has a thinner neck as well, and the body is 7/8 the size of the Stingray.

If anyone is interested, I have a Sterling for sale in the classifieds section.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Now Eric, how could I notice the difference by spending time with either? ;) I'd have to spend time with both!

I still prefer my Sterling, for the neck issue if nothing else. The coil switching is an added bonus for me.

Have you ever compared your 'Ray 5 to a Sterling? Are they similar in sound? I'm getting the itch for a fiver.

9. Before I bought my 'Ray, I A/Bed two Stingrays and one Sterling. While both 'Rays sounded very similar (one was rosewood, one maple) the Sterling had a smoother overall sound. That's not to say it can't get grity; it can. But, I found the Stingray to have a noticeably fatter sound. The Sterling is definitely more versatile IMHO, simply because of the 3 way switch, but, this does not make it better. In the end, this comes down to Coke/Pepsi.

Mike J.

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    1. The sterling has a smaller neck
    2. The sterling has a smaller body
    3. The sterling has a 3 position coil selector switch. Switched all the way to the "bridge" position is "stingray mode."
    4. The sterling has no bananna-shaped metal control plate under the knobs.
    5. The pickguard isn't a perfectly symmetrical egg; (like it is on a stingray) it's ever-so-slightly rotated.
    6. I dont think the Sterling sounds as phat as the Ray does. :)

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think my sterling sounds better than any ray i've ever played.

of course...it has a graphite neck....so.....

:D :D :D

jason

12. i like the sabers better

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree completely!

14. sabres have a five way switch