Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music notation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jun 30, 2005.

1. manuscript

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. tablature

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. none

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. all

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. What say you?

What kind of music notation do you use/know?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Notation all the way. IMO, there's a lot of things wrong with tab, but one of the worst (aside from the lack of indicated rhythms) is the fact that you're going by someone else's fingerings -- someone who might not know the fingerboard as well as you do, and might have a tab that might be the right NOTES, but there's no way in hell the original bassline was actually played like that.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    What about the Nashville number system?

:bassist:

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Notes with chords written on top (or sometimes N.C.:spit: )

5. Both standard notation and tab have advantages. For bass and guitar, I generally prefer standard notation. There is almost nothing written in standard notation that is useful for steel guitar and dobro, so I use tab there.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Depends on how much time I have. My guitarist doesn't know any theory, so I often write down his chords in tabs, and transfer it to chords later.

Notation gets the overhand, but Tab does have advantages.

7. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    i'd rather notation for the ryhms i don't care about the notes it's the rythms that i find tricky

8. I seem to have a tough time learning to read manuscript, but I'm getting there slowly. So with a little help from tab I can learn it easier. I'm trying to get away from tab though. Unless I want to learn a song by a band I like then I have to go for tab, because most of the bands I listen to it is impossible to find manuscript for them. For the life of me I can't pick songs out by ear, although occasionally I do run into the right notes at the right place.