1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Performance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by futurebass77, Aug 30, 2008.

1. futurebass77

futurebass77

Aug 2, 2007
    Hey guys,

Im going to major in music performance in college, and i was wondering if i would be able to teach with that major...any help appreciated

2. In all honesty, if you are looking to teach, and you have a major, you WILL find work.
    Some places hire on the basis that you own a bass.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you do want to go specifically into teaching, you should talk to your advisor and find out what classes in the Music Education line you can take to augment the Performance line courses you'll HAVE to take for that major.

4. Many universities also offer a performance major that also includes enough classes and teaching to earn teacher certification.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Really? I don't know about that. Not in 4 years at least. There are a very large number of non-music classes required for certification in addition to the music ed classes and the general class load of the music dept. and the school. There are also all different endorsements you can get depending on what you want to teach as well. There is a school here in Chicago (Vandercook) that specializes in a graduate degree that will certify undergrad performance majors.

6. Yeah I think it was at Michigan that I saw that, really a blended degree, but you would still get to study with Diana Gannett, and you would be certified as a teacher. Generally the certification is only for the state where you got your degree, but it is easy to get the certification transferred from state to state.

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Only if the states have reciprocity. I've known several very qualified people that have gone through all kinds of red tape. I never left the state but I also didn't get a certificate as an undergrad. I thought about going back to get certified and was told I'd have to take 100 level American history, some low level math class, and some other stuff just to qualify for the program. I gave up and got a job at a private school for a while where a state certificate isn't required. A wonder our public school system isn't as competitive as we'd like.

8. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    It might also be possible to double major in performance and music education.

Also, one of my instructors decided to take the music ed track but also put in extra time working on improving his performance level as an undergrad. Then he decided to major in jazz at the masters level.

He then had his teaching credential and the chops to get into grad school and got his degree in Jazz.

Now he is a busy performing jazz bassist who could also sub in an orchestra at a moment's notice and has a full-time teaching job at a community college.

I think he made some wise decisions. He said the undergrad stuff was exhausting, i.e. heading for the practice room in the evening when he was tired, but absolutely worth it.

9. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    Each state's department of education has explicitly stated requirements to apply for teaching certification. There are some liberal arts classes, some foundations of education classes, student teaching/practicum, and a certain amount of general credits necessary, usually. I did it in NY (which has pretty stringent requirements) with a performance degree, ended up earning a master's in the process, which most teachers do if they stay in the profession for any length of time.

Point is: look up the requirements for your state. Get a jump on some of the classes. Don't think you have to make any major changes - you can stick with your performance degree if that's what moves you.

The certification is certainly worth having in your back pocket . . .