1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Reading Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jimbass55, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Alright I have bought a book, and I am teaching myself how to read music.(My teacher cheesed on me twice so I figured I would take the $30 a week and buy books and videos and post my questions here)

Given: If a note is altered by a sharp or a flat, it remains that note for the rest of the measure unless canceled by a natural sign. Correct?

Question: Does it go back to the natural note on the next measure/bar if there is no natural sign, or does it remain the sharp or flat note?

I hope I am making sense. Thanks for your help.

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    goes back to natural.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. Thanks. That is what I thought, but sometimes when I try to apply common sense some well studied player comes along and corrects me. I am sure there will be more questions to come. Thanks again.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    sometimes you'll see the natural in the next bar. that's called a courtesy accidental.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nevermind-

What Ed sed.

6. Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I got it and now I am off to page 14 in the book. It will be a long journey, but I seem to retain these things better that way.:D Ed's reply in the other message really cleared things up. Thanks again.