Music Reading Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jimbass55, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Alright I have bought a book, and I am teaching myself how to read music.(My teacher cheesed on me twice so I figured I would take the $30 a week and buy books and videos and post my questions here)

Given: If a note is altered by a sharp or a flat, it remains that note for the rest of the measure unless canceled by a natural sign. Correct?

Question: Does it go back to the natural note on the next measure/bar if there is no natural sign, or does it remain the sharp or flat note?

I hope I am making sense. Thanks for your help.
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    goes back to natural.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  3. Thanks. That is what I thought, but sometimes when I try to apply common sense some well studied player comes along and corrects me. I am sure there will be more questions to come. Thanks again.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    sometimes you'll see the natural in the next bar. that's called a courtesy accidental.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

What Ed sed.
  6. Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I got it and now I am off to page 14 in the book. It will be a long journey, but I seem to retain these things better that way.:D Ed's reply in the other message really cleared things up. Thanks again.