1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

music-related video, stop doing it vertically!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Some local folks went to a show last night & this was their video stream:

upload_2020-2-8_12-56-46.png

Give me a break man, 40% of the screen is the audience & another 20% is the area above the band with nothing going on.
    This person ruined their enjoyment of the show while broadcasting garbage.
    When visible, everyone else was filming vertically as well!

Landscape mode folks, use it!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I used to be strong enough to do it vertically, now I gotta be lyin' down! :woot::smug::p

matricus, FRoss6788, sabre79 and 23 others like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i can't find that mode on my phone. :laugh:

i'm at a place where i only think about it...when i'm horizontal! :laugh:

4. Well, that would be my preference. Unfortunately, on certain popular social media sites, doing a live stream in landscape means your live viewers will see it sideways. The behemoth is forcing us into this ridiculous mode and I don't like it, but I can't fight them. It's a deliberate move on their part, too, because my earliest live streams worked just fine in landscape mode.

So maybe we stop blaming the people making the videos and start blaming the platforms that force us into this mode.

jt62, kohanmike, hieronymous and 6 others like this.
  5. Live-Viewer, put your phone sideways, Voila!, landscape!

I'm still blaming "smart"-phone users.

DWBass, n1as, kohanmike and 11 others like this.
  6. bradd

bradd Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just consider yourself lucky that someone took the time to record it so you don't have to leave your couch.

Dominic DeCosa and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. Yeah, I'm dying to watch them from the nose-bleed seats, LMAO!

Lucky?
    There's no value in it!

One guy, in a large group of people, managed to do it properly, in landscape, but he only recorded their encore finalé.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  8. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Vertical Video Syndrome seems to be a thing of the past. It's simply accepted now. And many social media platforms seem to push you that way.

Things change.

- John

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Exactly, vertical mode like this is the preferred format on certain popular social platforms.

Sorry that you don't like it, but you can't say they're doing it wrong. Hate to say it, but brace yourself - you can expect to see more and more of this.

Dominic DeCosa and LBS-bass like this.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

But it doesn’t make it right, or the most logical, ergonomic format. Our eyes are splayed horizontally. The ongoing default to vertical speaks more to laziness or lack of mindfulness. What you end up with is a huge portion of useless video information. I see it as a descendent of the kind of thinking(or lack thereof)that leads people to use flash when taking pictures from in the middle of a crowd. You end up with a lovely shot of the illuminated back of people’s heads. That light would never reach the stage.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. Well, I beg to differ, because the other guy in the same group of people was broadcasting on the same platform & he had it in landscape.
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting this "social media forces landscape", but my eyes don't lie.

electrichead and retslock like this.
  12. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I'm pretty sure it is not only "laziness" but also screen format. Phone screen, app design, and use are vertical by nature. And horizontal videos viewed with the vertical phone are much smaller. Folks scrolling through social video don't want to keep turning their phone sideways. Thus, just shoot vertical has become "normal"/common. Unfortunately.

- John

Kro likes this.
  13. so, laziness on the viewer's end also, great!

14. Probably from experiences like this one:

Please don't accuse me of lying. I'm perfectly capable of working with technology, given that it was my job for more than a decade.

You can stream to a number of platforms. YouTube allows live streams and they stream in landscape. But if you want to stream to Facebook, this is what they force. If that guy was streaming to Facebook, this is what his viewers saw. If he was streaming to YouTube, they saw it correctly.

As for turning your phone to the side, good luck with that. Most phones will automatically reorient your view when you turn them.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    No, it actually speaks more to mobile use surpassing desktop use. Do you spend more time using your phone with it held vertically or horizontally?

If you're using a dedicated video platform like Netflix, you might make the switch to flip to landscape, but most social sites aren't dedicated just to video.

PlatoFunFactory and JKos like this.
  16. Well, like I commented, my eyes don't lie & I just did a FB-Live of my TV screen in landscape, & guess what, it showed up on my FB page in landscape. So, I'm not sure what you did wrong.
    I worked with technology for the vast majority of my working life, & it bugs me to see people doing it incorrectly.

TrueNorthMatt and retslock like this.
  17. Please share with me the settings you used for that, then, because I'd love to be able to do it myself. When I first started streaming, there was the option to choose landscape or portrait and that vanished several years back. I would love to hear that they've added it back.

18. I didn't change any settings, it was the very first time I've FB-Live'd EVER. I had to look up how to do it, & it just worked.
    I clicked on "What's on your mind?" then clicked Go Live.
    Latest Android is my OS.

DWBass, retslock and LBS-bass like this.
  19. Interesting. I wonder if it's an OS thing; mine is an iPhone. Because I hate portrait mode as much as you do I have stopped live-streaming and we shoot in landscape and upload to YouTube later. But I would love to be able to stream in landscape mode.

Jay2U and Killed_by_Death like this.
  20. How about: Stop trying to be popular by posting/streaming poor quality videos of bands playing. Seeing your bleed'n screen up in the air 2 rows up from me is fruggin' annoying to my enjoyment.

Not you, KBD, the greater you of punters with no clue.

Kurt