Music Research Paper

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by triggert, Feb 27, 2006.

1. triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    In my English class we are writing a research paper. We have to write it over something that we think is a problem with the field we are going into. I thought about writing about how most musicians cannot read music and they count on tab or chords to help them out. To me this seems like a problem because it doesn't show the rhythm of the music. The only problem is we have to have 10 sources to back our paper up with. Do you guys think this is something that I could write about and find information on? Or maybe you guys have some other ideas that I hadn't thought about.

2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Sounds like it's time for a new topic.
  3. Yeah, I'm not too sure how far you can go with this one. I don't think you could make a case that musical illiteracy is damaging to society like regular old illiteracy is.
  4. triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    Yep, thats what I figured. Anybody got any ideas for something new?

5. Here's an easy one - substance abuse in the music field. Can use all kinds of books for reference, jeez anything that's been written about any famous musicians should have some stuff on the drug problem.

Good luck!
  6. That is a great idea! I don't see how I could of over-looked such a big problem. Thank you very much!

7. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    Or you could wirte it about bass and its influence?
  8. That would of been a really interesting paper for me but she wants us to research on a problem in the field we are going into. An example she used was that 30 day drug treatment centers should be longer because 30 days isn't enough for a full recovery. A student in the medical field was writing that paper. Hope that makes sense.

9. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    1.) Training needed to be successful in the music field and how people with different training and experiences must often work together and learn to communicate with different levels of skills. (I'm thinking of the band where some people read music and others need TABS, or have to have something to listen to and model in order to prepare for performance.)

2.) How technology is putting the power to create and compose music in the hands of people who have a totally different training/experience background from composers in the past. Anyone with marginal computer skills and some software can put together a fairl competent sounding recording. How is this affecting the level and expectation of music produced today. (compare with music done pre-1980)

3.) Cost of a college education in comparison to the earning level of performing musician in today economy.
  10. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    How about doing it on something like the RIAA and how their "Prosecute Everybody" attitude towards music piracy effects consumers. Also, what about outspoken musicians on both sides of the fence like Metallica's anal and annoying drummer, Lars, versus other anti-establishment guys like Eddy Vetter(sp?). What are the financial implications of sites like BearShare or others? Should 12 year old girls be fined thousands of dollars? What about new technology that makes copying CDs virtually impossible and requires using their special software to install it on your computer?

Just a thought...