Music room Colors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jul 1, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OK well a few of you may be aware that i have made my own music room in the basement of our house. The room is for me and my band (when and if i get in one). other wise, it is just a bludge room, somewhere where me and freinds will go to bum around. All the cement has been laid, and the walls are roof are going in.

I have asked a few freinds if they want to come over and help me paint the walls and that. They said no problem. Thing is, i have no idea what scheme to paint it with!

The room is 7 metres(21 foot?) by 3 metres (9 foot?)

Now are there any color schemes that you guys think would look good in that room? I was thinking paint it all black, then get a few fluro colors and throw them around. But to me that is a bit to 80's. We have a few hundred useless CD's if they could help in the decoration of the room in any way.

2. put a disco ball in the middle and hang an bunch of cds from the roof..

you could paint the room back and put huge white dots in the middle of each wall, roof and floor, like a dice

and add a black light so the white paint glows..
  3. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    the control room in the studio i play at has flat black ceilings, with dark blue cloth covered sound absortion tiles. i like how it works....the main room is all earth tones, and that works well too. i personally prefer darker....
  4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I'm 6"2', and i hit my head on the lights when i walk under them, thats how low the room is.

This room is tiny, and doesnt dark colors make the room look smaller?
  5. i'm 5'2", i wouldn't understand :D

maybe you could put strobe lights in the corners, the light will still reflect and give you that rave feel.
  6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    My music room is plain white with black and white photography on the walls of various bassists and other musical influences. Clean, sparse, and very conducive to concentration since there isn't anything to distract me.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    mirrors man.

and some red lights.

and a good fold out sofabed.
  8. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ...for the sexxin'?

Paint it all black. The spare room in our garage is some crazy thing my mom tried to turn into a game room but that my friends and I turned into our band room. She painted it red with lighter red sponge paint on the lower. Then a white stripe across the middle with card suites on them. Then the top is the dark red color solid. It looks cool but to way too much effort.
  9. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Can't go wrong with white.

Also, mirrors are a good idea, just make an entire wall a mirror, it'll make the room look bigger, plus who doesn't like checkin out how ya look in the mirror?

Heh, actually, the best thing to do would be to ask a woman what to do. Most women know what to do with a room (maybe I'm biased because my mom knows everything with home design and ****). I dunno, ask a woman that watches a lot of HGTV.
  10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Mirrors are a good idea, BUT we will be running around under there and they would smash REALLY easy, and they woundnt be cheap.

I was thinking blood red or lime green at the bottom (or some other good color) and having this color fade to black (hehe) up the top of the room. Painting it all on color or having this fading effect, i might get on mirror, smash it up (stuff the superstitions) into tiny little peices and pout them all around the room. Any pros or cons with that? Keep the ideas coming! they are preety sweet!
  11. Shiz, Id do the all black.mirror thing thats what rehearsal studios do, but if u really want to do something cool and trippy color it like a deeper tye-dye style. blazin spot.
  12. my studio is all white.. but that's coz the walls are all covered in old ( washed ) matrasses, with clean bedsheets over them :)

very good accoustics.. no echo'ing or what so ever :)
  13. Piet Mondrian.

If you don't like that look, paint every wall and ceiling a different color; add some mirrors, and come crown molding to make the room look bigger. How about some fake greek colunms in the corners? You could do all black with different colored colunms in the corners. I think you can get the plastic ones of those pretty cheap.

Later -
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    White, and light colors in general, would make it fell larger. For coloring it up, I would hang ryas(rugs) on the wall etc. and the folding sofabed idea is a good one.. especially sexxin' in mind :D
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

All black would make me feel claustrophobic and depressed. If you MUST use all black, brighten the walls with large posters of your favorite bands and musicians. You could even hang T-shirts of your favorite bands for extra effect. Another consideration, all-black absorbs light, so you will need more light in order to see. My guess is that you will want to see when you are rehearsing.

The mirror suggestion doesn't help if the room is all black. What would it reflect? More black? Also it would cause glare if you are using strobe lights. One more thing, sound bounces off glass. I don't think a big mirror will give you what you want sound-wise. It would be a good way, however to practice your future band's performance to see how you look as a band.

What is your flooring? Is it carpet, linoleum, ceramic tile, bare concrete? And what color is the floor? Carpet will be an acoustic cushion, but ceramic tile will bounce sound around nearly as much as a mirror.

If your floor is light, it won't matter so much if the walls are all black. Also, consider the color of the ceiling, too. If it is light, the black walls won't seem so oppressive. I really like the idea above to hang CDs from the ceiling as a decorative element.

Anyway, I think it is cool that you have such a nice area to practice your music. Also, have fun decorating it. Whatever makes you happy and inspires you to practcie will be fine. Having a rehearsal space is one of the biggest problems bands face. You are way ahead fo the game to have a comfortable, private and quiet space for a band when you get one together.
  16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    black crimson!!

that color is said to drive whoever looks at it INSANE! think about it, it's the color of DRIED UP BLOOD! MWAHAHAHAHA.

seriously, read "the masque of the red death" by poe. then you'll be in on the joke.

i'm not much of an interior decorator.
  17. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The carpet is creamey colored.

I think I might do each wall a different color. On problem is that one of the walls is rounded, so it turns 90 degrees NOT at a right angle, its curved.

That black crimson sound pretty cool!! got any examples :D

I like the idea of smashing a mirror and putting all the peices around the walls by gluing them, but you gottta remeber, it also has to be sorta inspirational. :D

Any colors/schemes that gets your inspirational juices flowing? :D
  18. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    I would approach it totally differently. A music room is all about neccessity. I would leave it totally plain and let it evolve as a room, so its got everything you need in it, and nothing you dont. If one day your jamming and mirrors or a strobe light seem like a good idea, add it to the list. but start with a clean slate.

I WOULD cover the walls with salvador dali posters, though.
  19. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I always wanted a room where the floor, walls and roof were carpated.
  20. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You have just descibed my old room...all green shag carpet.