Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Scene: Boston vs Seattle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassjamn, Sep 30, 2004.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Not sure where to post this so...posting in misc.
    I was planning a move next year and the 2 cities i've narrowed it down to are Seattle / Boston

There has always been a buzz in those two cities, but how's the music scene in these parts presently?
    If any locals have resources for finding musicians that would be great.
    Here in SF craigslist.org is good, i see some activity on the Boston/Seattle Boards too.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Pittsburgh is a great (albeit widely unknown) jazz city.

Click here to get a jumpstart.

3. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    You know its colder in any of those places. Why don't u stay in the sun. I would then again i'm canadain

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I enjoy the cold :) ...(well not too cold)

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  6. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I've never been to Seattle, Boston has a huge hardcore scene in the Southside (a little less now) it's got a pretty good ska scene as well. It's also getting a bit of a hip-hop scene starting up.

Providence is great if you're into metal/hardcore and experimental music. It's also got a growing hip-hop scene.

7. Yeah! Providence has a seriously great scene. Just on Zox alone...

8. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the reply's all.

Hmm Hardcore, isnt that one of those new fangled metal styles.

What i would really like to find is progressive musicians(Old style Rush, Yes, KC) or some sorta experimental Improv/Jam band like Les's new projects.

9. Think metal sped-up to the tempo of a pencil tapping on a high school desk waiting for class to be over.

10. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It's a derivative of punk, do a search and they'll be stuff endless discussions on what is and isn't hardcore.

Here are some bands from Prov. there are a couple of free jazz/improv groups and prog rock groups.

http://www.lotsofnoise.com/bands.html

11. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  12. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Some clubs in Boston:

http://www.mideastclub.com/
    (the Roxy through Lupos site [see how much Boston depends on us? Might as well just come here :rolleyes:]
    http://www.lupos.com/Roxy-Matrix.html

There are a bunch of others, that don't have websites and are just bars that throw shows. Places like the El-N-Gee and the Axis etc.

13. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the info Smash Appreciate it. I did like Seattle when i was there, So good to know musicians are still about.

I expected as much in Boston, Seeing as how NY is probably the king as far as varied music & getting gigs, I always assumed Boston would be close.

14. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Ah very nice, Appreciate it. I may have to check some of those places out when i scout out Boston in a Month or two :)

15. It's not one of your choices, but from what I'm guessing it fulfills your criteria- Minneapolis is cold, and I understand there's more bands per capita than any other city in the universe.

Then again, I don't understand a lot...

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I live in the Boston area.

Prog rock is nonexistent here, sorry. Jam bands fare OK due to the concentration of colleges but the really hot rock styles here are garage, punk, ska, and Beatlesque/shoegazer pop.

Reggae, blues, jazz, folk and classical all are strong here both in venues and on the radio. There is strong press support of local music across the board.

As was mentioned above, if you are interested in road work it's a good location for working all over New England plus DC, Philly and NYC are within a day's drive.

Like most urban areas, there is also a strong commercial music scene...up here we call it "general business" or GB...weddings, parties, harbor cruises, etc. that help pay the bills for a lot of working pros.

I moved up here 24 years ago from Connecticut largely for the music scene and I have not been disappointed.

P.S. Providence, RI is less than an hour's drive from Boston and many former Bostonian players have relocated there for the cheaper housing. Providence has a fair music scene of it's own as well, it's probably best known for the blues (Duke Robillard, Roomful of Blues, Sugar Ray and the Bluetones, etc.).

17. +1 for Boston :)

I've lived in boston, now im in oregon. Boston was a cool city i thought, and if your moving for music... boston has lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of musical opportunities in it...

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've lived in both cities, albeit not that recently. I could well be wrong, but I'd go west coast for jam bands, east coast for prog. But, that's only based on my experiences at the times I lived in those places, plus what I see living on the west coast now. Jam bands get by far more bookings locally than any other style. I do know some smokin' "math rock" players in Seattle though, and they seem to work pretty frequently too.

I'd really look at quality of life issues too though. As I've gotten older, the laid back west coast thing has gained more and more appeal. The traffic is really bad in both cities. Housing costs are high. Nearly everything else is very cool in both places.

Whatever you do, stay away from Craig's List and the papers for serious contacts in Seattle, unless you are willing to waste a whole lot of time.

luck,

Charlie Escher